Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Data roaming - which Irish network has best deal?

Options
  • 09-10-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Im going to states for 4 days, need a little bit of data for google maps public transport and tripadvisor.

At the moment best deal looks like vodafone RED Roaming €2.99 per day for 200MB daily. This should be enough.

Any better deals out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Google Maps allows you to download local maps and you can download a city guide of NYC in Tripadvisor.

In relation to the thread title, people here would only know the roaming charges for their own Irish network (though most probably don't) but I'm sure someone can advise you on packages available over there by buying a data SIM.

If you block attachments in Gmail when roaming (you can download them when you connect to wi-fi) and disable mobile data for hungry apps, 200MB a day should be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Im going to states for 4 days, need a little bit of data for google maps public transport and tripadvisor.

At the moment best deal looks like vodafone RED Roaming €2.99 per day for 200MB daily. This should be enough.

Any better deals out there?

If you're on billpay, you can use your full home data allowance on the Red Roaming thing for €2.99 per day. This may also apply to PAYG but I can't say that for sure, as I'm billpay. I was recently in the States and had checked this out in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

From what ive checked, buying USA sim would make sense only if i need it for longer.

Red roaming works on pay as you go, so i would buy new sim here (im on tesco)

Yes, google maps you can download in advance, but for live public transport you need data connection. I dont think there is an offline solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

... for live public transport you need data connection. I dont think there is an offline solution.

+1 clearly you need an online connection but is that for the NYC subway? I wouldn't bother if I was you. The frequency in Manhattan is such that it's really not worth tracking trains in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

yes subway + bus. Its not about frequency but way to get somewhere. Yes, its for subway and bus. So, if i end up somewhere in Brooklyn, i need to check the fastest way back to my airbnb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement