Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whose responsibility is it to bleed a radiator?

Options
  • 09-10-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am renting a house in Dublin. The heating was broken recently and after the plumber fixed it the radiator in my bedroom will not heat up. I've tried using a standard tool to bleed it but it's such an old radiator the standard tools you can buy in a hardware shop don't fit it.
    Is it my responsibility to find the correct tool and bleed it? Or should the landlord take care of this?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Contact the landlord and tell him the radiator isn’t working and needs a professional to look at it.
    Last thing you want is to damage it and get into a load of hassle with the LL as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Byrnea22

Thanks Brian, I've been speaking to them about getting someone to have a look but they have told me it's my responsibility as the tenant to bleed it if that's what it needs. I'm not sure that's right though? Especially as it's so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Byrnea22 wrote:
    Thanks Brian, I've been speaking to them about getting someone to have a look but they have told me it's my responsibility as the tenant to bleed it if that's what it needs. I'm not sure that's right though? Especially as it's so old.

Ask landlord for a vent key to fit your rad. Veha rads had a special key. It's also possible that the nut has ringed & might need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Byrnea22 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am renting a house in Dublin. The heating was broken recently and after the plumber fixed it the radiator in my bedroom will not heat up.I've tried using a standard tool to bleed it but it's such an old radiator the standard tools you can buy in a hardware shop don't fit it.
    Is it my responsibility to find the correct tool and bleed it? Or should the landlord take care of this?
    Thanks a million!
    Who called the plumber to fix the heating? If the radiator was working before the initial fault and not working after, I would think whoever was responsible for arranging the plumber is responsible for arranging for the plumber to call again to resolve any outstanding issues with the heating system.

If the radiator is that old that the bleed valve might be rusted or seized up I'd prefer to leave it to someone who has the tools to deal with it if anything goes wrong, including things like the threads being damaged or stripped so the bleed valve can't be closed afterwards and/or needs to be replaced.

Advertisement