Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance quote regarding a claim amount

Options
  • 09-10-2018 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a very minor accident where there was a claim on my insurance of just over 2k euro. My question is, do insurance companies pay any heed to the little amount paid out?

Struggling to even get quoted at this stage. A friend of mine informed me that a claim is a claim in the sense of it is the same as a car being written off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

thestar wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a very minor accident where there was a claim on my insurance of just over 2k euro. My question is, do insurance companies pay any heed to the little amount paid out?

Struggling to even get quoted at this stage. A friend of mine informed me that a claim is a claim in the sense of it is the same as a car being written off?

Hi ...am also interested in replies to the above.

€2k is too much to sort 'with cash' and so I must involve my Insurance Company.

Think the other party think I am some sort of a soft touch for such a small dent and so have decided to bluff them and say that my Insurance Co will deal with him. I would say that any Assessor who sees the damage will cut this damage right back to €600 max.

But am worried the effect this will have on my NCB. If i have a Protected NCB on my policy...does this stop my policy going up on renewal as a result of the claim??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Masala wrote: »
    But am worried the effect this will have on my NCB. If i have a Protected NCB on my policy...does this stop my policy going up on renewal as a result of the claim??

In theory, yes.

But as the OP's friend advised him, a claim is a claim and you will not be able to move company when your next renewal comes around because nobody else will quote you with a recent claim. That puts you at the mercy of your existing company.

Tell the other party that you want to settle for a reasonable amount, suggest that an assessor will not pass their estimate and push them down to a realistic level. Then pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

coylemj wrote: »
    In theory, yes.

But as the OP's friend advised him, a claim is a claim and you will not be able to move company when your next renewal comes around because nobody else will quote you with a recent claim. That puts you at the mercy of your existing company.

Tell the other party that you want to settle for a reasonable amount, suggest that an assessor will not pass their estimate and push them down to a realistic level. Then pay them.

Thanks for the reply... my quote now gone to €3k when allowing VAT , materials etc. Thats a quote from a Body Repair Shop that the other party went to. Just the 1 quote is all he got.

Getting too rich for me now.... and even if I bet him down to €2k it still alot of cash. So if my premium goes up €300 for each of the next 5 years (additional €1500 in insurance payable) .. I still better off than paying out €2k in savings?? Insured 30 years and this my first claim.... am gutted!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Masala wrote: »
    Hi ...am also interested in replies to the above.

€2k is too much to sort 'with cash' and so I must involve my Insurance Company.

Think the other party think I am some sort of a soft touch for such a small dent and so have decided to bluff them and say that my Insurance Co will deal with him. I would say that any Assessor who sees the damage will cut this damage right back to €600 max.

NCB protection is just what it says. Your NCB is protected . It does not stop your insurer from raising your renewal premium.

Advertisement