Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath panel

Options
  • 08-10-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have a plastic bath panel that I have removed and dumped. It's a square area. I wonder what type of wood / or other product I could get to fit there as the plastic was very shabby looking ..
    Thks
    Daddy
    Ps reasonable D.I Y ....'er

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Water and wood aren't ever a good match.

Don't forget that the plumber will need access to under the bath sometime in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Water and wood aren't ever a good match.

Don't forget that the plumber will need access to under the bath sometime in the future

Good point , though I see a few in B and Q today and they looked wooden ...perhaps they had some sort of water resistant cover ,thks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Try a pvc company they should have panels there and maybe a wooden frame behind it will sturdy it up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

What's the rest of the bathroom? Looks well if you can tile it to match the floor or walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tongue and groove is the old tried and tested paneling. Can be painted or stained to whatever you want.

And it's perfectly fine for bath. You're not dunking it permanently in water it's to hide the under garments of the bath. Very DIY friendly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

pvc soffit board is a good alternative. There is a 10" board that has 4 runs instead of the usual 3 you see on the outside of a house. It looks neat when done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

I did a job like this about 10 years ago in my previous house. May still have a photo somewhere.

I got a length of mdf (maybe 3/4 inch) and scribed it to fit. Then cut 3 rectangular holes and fitted doors. This gives useful storage space.

The whole thing was secured to the wood frame using clips so to remove it I just had to open the doors and unclip.

Painted it white to match the bath.

Took a full Sat to make up. Hardest part was making the doors but it was worth it.

hesker wrote: »
    I did a job like this about 10 years ago in my previous house. May still have a photo somewhere.

I got a length of mdf (maybe 3/4 inch) and scribed it to fit. Then cut 3 rectangular holes and fitted doors. This gives useful storage space.

The whole thing was secured to the wood frame using clips so to remove it I just had to open the doors and unclip.

Painted it white to match the bath.

Took a full Sat to make up. Hardest part was making the doors but it was worth it.

Yes I was just in a bathroom shop now. These panels are hard to source. I'm thinking that now , I may go with mdf and fit it to the bath , leaving space to fit white tiles on to it . They will go with the rest of the bathroom as toilet etc are white. I think I should be able to manage that ..Thks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I wouldnt use MDF... at least use plywood in that situation.

I made one out of MDF before but i coated it in plenty of PVC then paint. I didnt have any issues but it got minimal use (before i sold the house).
    However My parents had a T&G effect one in there bathroom - shop biought, made from MDF with a platicy coating. Its in bits now and needs to be replaecd. Once you get a few cracks in it, the MDF will just discintegrate - same if water gets in behind your tiles.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    I wouldnt use MDF... at least use plywood in that situation.

I made one out of MDF before but i coated it in plenty of PVC then paint. I didnt have any issues but it got minimal use (before i sold the house).
    However My parents had a T&G effect one in there bathroom - shop biought, made from MDF with a platicy coating. Its in bits now and needs to be replaecd. Once you get a few cracks in it, the MDF will just discintegrate - same if water gets in behind your tiles.

Got a proper panel in bathroom place all done thks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement