Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City

Options
  • 08-10-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I was planning on travelling from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City for a two week holiday and I was wondering would it be easier just to book it through an agency like Usit or just bite the bullet and try to organise everything by myself?

Has anybody got any experience traveling through Vietnam? Was DIY much hassle? I'm going to book the flights and apply for a visa soon so any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've done it! Was a breeze, as simple as a Ryanair flight here tbh. Quite good service in their airports and airlines as I guess the masses still don't fly everywhere. Think it was Vietjet we flew internally with. Really very like Ryanair I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

It's incredibly simple and gives you way more flexibility. I wouldn't book anything other than flights in and out tbh. Enjoy, beautiful country.

Also, to add as the previous poster covered internal flights, the busses are great too. Really comfortable on long distances, like a proper bed. Very simple to book all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Thanks for your replies.

I'm definitely leaning towards organize everything myself but a collegue went on this package last year and recommended it to me. I think it's a tad over priced for what it is plus I'd still have to pay for flights and visas etc on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The visa is pretty expensive. Circa €90 from the embassy in the U.K. I know things are cheaper in Vietnam but that cancels out a lot of perceived savings!

Yeah, the visa isn't cheap. I got quoted €75 for a 30 day single entry visa. The flights aren't cheap either, especially flying into Hanoi and out of Ho Chi Minh City, hence why I'm thinking of organizing the trip myself instead of paying a travel agency, to keep the cost down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I would recommend getting an E-Visa through the official website. https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt it costs $25.

On the flights its usually much cheaper to fly into somewhere like Bangkok or Hong Kong and getting a cheap flight with Air Asia or similar airline to Hanoi.

Brilliant! Thank you

I've pretty much orgisinsed my trip now apart from deciding whether or not to stay in Da Nag or Hoi An for a few nights.

I'm slightly leaning towards Hoi An, mainly because of the Ancient Town, but I'd like to visit the Ba Na Hills and Marble Mountain, which are both much closer to Da Nang. The airport is also in Da Nang, which is another massive plus point.

I've only got around 3 days to spare here so I'd be grateful to anybody that's stayed in either for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I've pretty much orgisinsed my trip now apart from deciding whether or not to stay in Da Nag or Hoi An for a few nights.

I'm slightly leaning towards Hoi An, mainly because of the Ancient Town, but I'd like to visit the Ba Na Hills and Marble Mountain, which are both much closer to Da Nang. The airport is also in Da Nang, which is another massive plus point.

I've only got around 3 days to spare here so I'd be grateful to anybody that's stayed in either for some advice.
    Can't speak for Da Nang but Hoi An is absolutely beautiful. We stayed there 3 nights but could have spent longer there TBH. You have the lovely old town and river side but literally a short cycle up the road and you have some lovely beaches. Food is top notch too.

Can't speak for Da Nang but Hoi An is absolutely beautiful. We stayed there 3 nights but could have spent longer there TBH. You have the lovely old town and river side but literally a short cycle up the road and you have some lovely beaches. Food is top notch too.

Thank you, these are the main reasons why I'm leaning towards Hoi An. I've actually noticed that most online travel agents and tour guides completely ignore Da Nang for Hoi An within their itineraries for some reason. I've only got three nights there also, before I fly to Ho Chi Minh City, so I just want to make the right choice yet get to see most of the sights around the area without cramming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

I have done a similar trip to the one posted above.

Hoi An was my favourite place. We stayed there for a week there and loved it. To answer your question of whether to go to Da Nang or Hoi An ? The answer is most definitely Hoi An. Its not even close.

Would highly recommend the overnight cruise in Halong. Also the war museum in Saigon.

If I was doing it again I would give Hue a miss. The imperial city was cool but not enough to make me re-visit Hue.

Cheers for that post.

I'm only going for 14 nights so I've broken it down into 3 nights each in Hanoi, Hue, Da Nang/Hoi An & Ho Chi Minh City with one night spent on the train between Hanoi & Hue.

I think that the general consensus is to skip Da Nang and just go straight to Hoi An, so that's what I'll do.

Thanks again

Hoi An without a doubt.
    Hope you are travelling to halong bay also!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hoi An without a doubt.
    Hope you are travelling to halong bay also!

Oh yeah for sure, but not overnight.

Oh yeah for sure, but not overnight.

The overnight stay was one of the highlights for me. My other half still goes on about the dinner we had on the boat. Table out on the deck of the boat on a balmy night, it was bliss.

My advice would be to try and fit it in if you can. 3 night is Hue is 2 too many for me.

The overnight stay was one of the highlights for me. My other half still goes on about the dinner we had on the boat. Table out on the deck of the boat on a balmy night, it was bliss.

My advice would be to try and fit it in if you can. 3 night is Hue is 2 too many for me.

I would have, but I've already booked 3 nights in a hotel in the Old Town. I haven't booked any other accommodation in Vietnam, I just wanted the piece of mind of having somewhere central to stay after a long flight. I'll definitely be taking a day time cruise though!

I would agree with others and go to Hoi An instead of Da Nang. I do think you are trying to fit too much into the 2 weeks though especially if you are planning to go to Halong Bay (its around 4 hours from Hanoi to Halong Bay). I would cut out the train to Hue and fly direct from Hanoi to Da Nang from there its around 30 minutes by car to Hoi An and spend some extra time there its a relaxing town. I would also recommend a day trip to the Hoi Van Pass. You can also get a cheap flight out of Da Nang to HCMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Geminigal

When are you going?? I am heading on Thursday for 3 nights to hoi and I believe it is amazing ❤️

john4321 wrote: »
    I would agree with others and go to Hoi An instead of Da Nang. I do think you are trying to fit too much into the 2 weeks though especially if you are planning to go to Halong Bay (its around 4 hours from Hanoi to Halong Bay). I would cut out the train to Hue and fly direct from Hanoi to Da Nang from there its around 30 minutes by car to Hoi An and spend some extra time there its a relaxing town. I would also recommend a day trip to the Hoi Van Pass. You can also get a cheap flight out of Da Nang to HCMH.

Yeah it's definitely going to be a tight squeeze alright, but I'm prepared for that. I'm also getting the impression that Hue is worth skipping altogether, so I'll take that onboard and probably just head to Hoi An

Geminigal wrote: »
    When are you going?? I am heading on Thursday for 3 nights to hoi and I believe it is amazing ❤️

I'm going on the 22nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Geminigal

Deadly it sounds like an amazing trip😊

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Can I ask who you booked your flights through and how much they were?

Oh and some more advice, don't get sucked in to buying expensive lacquer, star rubies or marble. That stuff is all over the place and its all the same.

We bought some cheap lacquer and it has stood the test of time so far. I wouldn't shell out for the expensive stuff.

You can probably add pearls to that list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Made the trip myself a couple of years ago and more or less agree with what everyone is saying here. Stayed in a hostel called La Chien in Hanoi which is a great place to start off and meet people. Went out to Halong Bay for one night only, used it as a detox actually.

Hoi An is simply incredible and will be one of your favourite places. We also rented a scooter there and went to the beaches. The town centre and river is wonder at night. Nha Trang for beaches, weird to see so many russians!

Our only regret is Hue, think we had booked three nights there and it was two too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

Im going in about 5 weeks, and trying to find out about the visa. There seems to be a lot of differing info online. Is it possible to arrive at the airport without doing anything before hand? I have seen there is an e-visa option too. I will be arriving at Hanoi airport from Thailand.

Im going in about 5 weeks, and trying to find out about the visa. There seems to be a lot of differing info online. Is it possible to arrive at the airport without doing anything before hand? I have seen there is an e-visa option too. I will be arriving at Hanoi airport from Thailand.

You wont be allowed check in for the flight in Thailand without having a visa or visa approval letter.

There are a few ways to get a tourist visa for Vietnam. The old way was to get a visa approval letter from a company then when you arrive at the destination airport you apply for the visa and pay a stamping fee. Since last summer you can now get an e-visa through the official site https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt it only took a day or two to come through. You print it off and present it at immigration and saves a lot of waiting. You can also apply to the embassy in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Cheers for that post.

I'm only going for 14 nights so I've broken it down into 3 nights each in Hanoi, Hue, Da Nang/Hoi An & Ho Chi Minh City with one night spent on the train between Hanoi & Hue.

I think that the general consensus is to skip Da Nang and just go straight to Hoi An, so that's what I'll do.

Thanks again

Reduce the nights in Hue... not enough to see, my OH actually found it very dull. we did 2 nights there and it was our least favorite spot in VN, would have missed nothing by not going in fairness. add the extra night to Hoi An. We spent a day in Da Nang and you are right to select Hoi An instead. Hoi An is amazing.

dia squish wrote: »
    Can I ask who you booked your flights through and how much they were?

I'm flying with Qatar Airways as they were cheaper then both Emirates and Etihad and the layover time was much shorter. I paid around the 700e mark.
    solerina wrote: »
    Reduce the nights in Hue... not enough to see, my OH actually found it very dull. we did 2 nights there and it was our least favorite spot in VN, would have missed nothing by not going in fairness. add the extra night to Hoi An. We spent a day in Da Nang and you are right to select Hoi An instead. Hoi An is amazing.

I'm planning on only spending one night in Hue, as I wanted to visit the The Imperial City, so I'll have five nights in Hoi An instead. The main attraction for me in Da Nang were Marble Mountain and The Golden Bridge, which I can do on a day trip, so I'm glad that posted on this forum and choose Hoi An instead.

Advertisement