Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade From 700D

Options
  • 08-10-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a Canon 700D.

I love it as a starting camera however I feel I have used it to its full potential.

I typically use my 18-270mm Tamron Di II lens or an old canon a Canon 10-18mm I picked up cheap.

I want to upgrade to a full frame system and I have been doing some research.

Currently saving for it but I have settled a budget of about 2,000

At first I saw the 5D mark 4 however the price with lenses is just that bit too much.

I use my camera outdoors mainly landscape but I am still a newbie. insta

For that reason I have considered the 6D mark II.

All in with 24-105m lens I can get it for roughly 1700 euro.

That leaves a budget of 300 to get a decent bag, tripod and filters.

I have also plans to get a second lens but thats for another day.

Anyways regarding the 6D mark II? what are the major downsides to it vs the 5D mark iV.

Ive researched many forums however most people seem to refer to the 5D but I guess many contributors are professional photographers.

From an amateur who mainly shoots landscapes will it suffice ?

Thanks

Skinny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭skinny90

Anyone ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I follow you on Insta, you have some lovely images there.

Is your budget for camera alone, or lens too? Your tamron lens is APS-C (EF-S) only, so it won't be too much use to you on the new full frame. This might change things a bit in terms of budget if you have to factor a lens in too.

Having just gone through the gauntlet in deciding on my own camera, for me, the take away from the whole experience is that almost all modern cameras are great, especially full frame. The difference between these cameras becomes really minimal when you're talking the kind of shooting that we both do which is landscapes. From my reading the Canon 6D MKII is a fantastic camera, it is not as good as the 5D mkIV but there is a massive case of diminishing returns for the extra money imo.

The main differences between the 6D II and 5D IV is the sensor. The 5D has better dynamic range, better colours and more resolution. It has dual pixel raw, which allows for very slight focusing corrections in post....

In saying that, would that really be noticeable? Maybe if you went comparing pixels between the two systems, but coming from a 700D I think you'll be blown away. I've just jumped from a 60D to a Eos R and the raw files from the R are stunning in comparison. I feel you'll have the same feeling no matter which you decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Are you strict on wanting to stick with Canon?

I follow you on Insta, you have some lovely images there.

Is your budget for camera alone, or lens too? Your tamron lens is APS-C (EF-S) only, so it won't be too much use to you on the new full frame. This might change things a bit in terms of budget if you have to factor a lens in too.

Having just gone through the gauntlet in deciding on my own camera, for me, the take away from the whole experience is that almost all modern cameras are great, especially full frame. The difference between these cameras becomes really minimal when you're talking the kind of shooting that we both do which is landscapes. From my reading the Canon 6D MKII is a fantastic camera, it is not as good as the 5D mkIV but there is a massive case of diminishing returns for the extra money imo.

The main differences between the 6D II and 5D IV is the sensor. The 5D has better dynamic range, better colours and more resolution. It has dual pixel raw, which allows for very slight focusing corrections in post....

In saying that, would that really be noticeable? Maybe if you went comparing pixels between the two systems, but coming from a 700D I think you'll be blown away. I've just jumped from a 60D to a Eos R and the raw files from the R are stunning in comparison. I feel you'll have the same feeling no matter which you decide on.

Hey man,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Still a newbie, but continuously learning by simply messing around and trying to improve.

You have great photos yourself!

Yeah Iv actually just one lens left now I have started selling them on adverts so I know I have to let go

Budget is all in. I can source the camera body for roughly €1100 body only or €1640 with the 24-70 F4 L Lens.

I am thinking either for for the package or go body only and source a second hand Mk1 or MK2 24-70 F2.8 lens(MK2 if the price is right)

The remainder of the budget will be to source a decent bag, tripod and maybe a filter or 2

I am just for an opinion to tell me not to go for the 6Dmk2.

From researching it seems to fit the bill and now I am trying to see ok, realistically what am i missing,

From researching the most noticable downside will be how the camera spreads the focus points.

I am trying to see how this will limit me (As a newbie)

Thanks for your feedback and all the best with the new purchase!

Chavways wrote: »
    Are you strict on wanting to stick with Canon?

Initially yes, however I am open to change. I have used Nikons in the past and I find the UI can be less user friendly. That said I am sure its not hard to adapt if I give it time to get used to

What were you thinking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I'm a newbie.
    You have great photos, I'm sure you'll benefit from 35mm.
    My camera is Sony A7, and I had a Sony A6300 on my hands. I made a few shots for comparison, I was blown away by the different in dynamic range. Quite impressed by the number of focus points of the A6300 though.

I had a Nikon d3200 before, and a Nikon D610, I was really happy about the d610, the only thing that I didn't like is that because it's quite big, I didn't had it with me when I needed.

I'd like to say that my A7 paired with 35mm (~550gr including lens) goes with me everywhere but it's not really true.

Overall smaller worked better for me, especially in holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

skinny90 wrote: »
    Initially yes, however I am open to change. I have used Nikons in the past and I find the UI can be less user friendly. That said I am sure its not hard to adapt if I give it time to get used to

What were you thinking ?

I moved from a Canon 700D to a Sony A6500 about a year ago and love it but its not full frame and I do a lot of video. One suggestion for you could be a Sony A7rii coupled with either the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or the Sony 24-70 f4. You could also purchase an adapter and use Canon mount lenses on the Sony if you fancied.

I have never used either of the 6Ds or the A7rii but its 42mp with a crazy dynamic range and got excellent reviews over the years. The file size will be huge though and if you don't need that much resolution for big prints, it may be overkill. One major gripe people (myself included) have with Sony is the complicated menus. Canon definitely wins in that regard. One other caveat of the Sony's is that full frame lenses for the Sony system are very expensive indeed. I've adapted some Canon mount ones for my camera which opens a lot of doors.

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/2671/sony_alpha_a7rii_mirrorless_digital_camera_body_only

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3593/tamron_28-75mm_f/2.8_di_iii_rxd_lens_for_sony_e_mount_(a036)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Good thing about Sony is that you could use an adapter and have Konica lenses, got a clean example 50mm f1.7 for 30 bucks.

Advertisement