Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim

Options
  • 08-10-2018 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

6 weeks ago I made a claim with MIBI as I was hit by a French driver (on holiday in Ireland) in his own car. The driver accepted full responsibility to myself and two witnesses. Does anyone have any idea on how long it should take to get an answer. Since it is such a straight forward case I thought it would be further along by now but I've contacted MIBI twice since they received my claim and it seems nothing is being done.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Hi,

6 weeks ago I made a claim with MIBI as I was hit by a French driver (on holiday in Ireland) in his own car. The driver accepted full responsibility to myself and two witnesses. Does anyone have any idea on how long it should take to get an answer. Since it is such a straight forward case I thought it would be further along by now but I've contacted MIBI twice since they received my claim and it seems nothing is being done.

Thanks.

It's best to put it through your own insurance, as dealing with overseas insurers is a slow process. From the MIBI website;

If your vehicle is comprehensively insured, or your property is covered under a policy of insurance, you may claim for loss from your comprehensive insurer or the property insurer. The insurer can, in turn, recover their outlay from MIBI, as Green Card Bureau. This ensures a minimum of inconvenience and loss. This facility is subject to confirmation of the validity of the registration plate of the alleged offending vehicle. Your No Claims Bonus may be affected until the claim has been settled by the MIBI. Once settled your insurer should re-instate your No Claims Bonus as it was before the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Caroline2211

eggs for dinner,

yes i tried that but unfortunately i only have third party so they cannot help.
    Thank you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

eggs for dinner,

yes i tried that but unfortunately i only have third party so they cannot help.
    Thank you though!

That's unfortunate. International MIBI transactions can take their time. It's very bureaucratic. The only alternative is to try and claim directly from the 3rd party using a solicitor with an office or partnership in France. The reason being your standard Irish solicitor is unable to issue proceedings against the 3rd party outside the jurisdiction, if liability is not admitted. I doubt you'll find anyone to take it on

Advertisement