Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romania

Options
  • 08-10-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭

Hi. am travelling to Bucharest in a few weeks. trouble is I cannot get any Romanian currency. the two banks where I hold accounts don't even order it.
    chap in the post office told me I will have no problem using euro there but I have researched it and I'm not so sure. anybody been to Romania lately and do they accept euro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

They accept Euro in a lot of places but getting local currency is easy at the airport from a Bureau de Change or from one of the many atms in the airport or in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Hi. am travelling to Bucharest in a few weeks. trouble is I cannot get any Romanian currency. the two banks where I hold accounts don't even order it.
    chap in the post office told me I will have no problem using euro there but I have researched it and I'm not so sure. anybody been to Romania lately and do they accept euro?

Euro is like gold in Bucharest. They prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Withdraw local currency from ATM when you arrive?

I use Revolut (for up to €200 per month) to avoid 'cross border' charges. After that, i've found the cheapest way to withdraw foreign cash is a loaded credit card via ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Withdraw local currency from ATM when you arrive?

I use Revolut (for up to €200 per month) to avoid 'cross border' charges. After that, i've found the cheapest way to withdraw foreign cash is a loaded credit card via ATM.

Withdraw cash from ATM on arrival would be my recommendation too.

We had a similar dilema when going to Hungary as Forints weren't readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ok go there most months and lived there for a while. Euro will not be accepted by anyone that does not intend ripping you off.... You need ron, there are 2 bank machines after you come out of arrivals after baggage etc. Both are free to use. Don't use the booths or bureaus or hotels to exchange!

BTW use speed taxi etc to book a cab, machine directly opposite the atm.

Unless your going mad just get out 400lei max at a time...its not expensive here (lei and ron are the same thing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

thanks to everyone for your advice. looks like I needn't be concerned about not having the currency before I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

thanks to everyone for your advice. looks like I needn't be concerned about not having the currency before I go!

definitely not. Its a great place. I lived in Bucharest for 2 years. Super spot

Advertisement