Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Pizza wins UK National Pizza of the Year Award

Options
  • 08-10-2018 11:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/vegan-pizza-wins-national-pizza-of-the-year-at-the-national-pizza-awards/

The National Pizza Awards 2018, which took place on 3rd October in London, saw 14 finalists competing for the award of National Pizza of the Year.

Despite being the first ever vegan pizzeria to compete in the awards, it was vegan pizzeria Purezza, who have restaurants in both London and Brighton, who took home the prestigious award.

The winning pizza was Purezza’s mouth-watering Parmigiana Party, a pizza inspired by an Italian parmigiana dish, which is topped with a delicious selection of fried aubergines, vegan sausage, and smoked vegan mozzarella.

Editor of Casual Dining Magazine (which hosted the event) Charlotte Mellor told the audience that the winner “really surprised” all of the judges.

purezza win national pizza of the year

Filippo Rosato, head chef at Purezza, stated:

“It’s unbelievable – to get this sort of recognition for something that I love is the best feeling I’ve ever had. I’m really proud, because I really believe in this project. I started to believe in vegan food in 2015, and to spend time with Tim and Stefania [Purezza founders] and join them on this trip, and now to win this award, is something that I’m really proud of. This will be a new starting point where we can say: ‘It’s true – we can do something really special.’”

This exciting news comes just days before Purezza is set to compete in the international PizzAward competition, taking place in Naples on 16th October.

parmigiana-party.jpg

national-pizza-awards.jpg

They have restaurants in London and Brighton if anybody is visiting there, let me know how it is!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Well fair play to them.

I still remain of the opinion that, if cheese never existed, vegans wouldn't have invented it. But that's just me - I see no point in cheese (apart from to make money).

It would have been far more impressive if the makers had won with a pizza without cheese. Indeed, one of the best pizzas I ever had, had no cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Well fair play to them.

I still remain of the opinion that, if cheese never existed, vegans wouldn't have invented it. But that's just me - I see no point in cheese (apart from to make money).

It would have been far more impressive if the makers had won with a pizza without cheese. Indeed, one of the best pizzas I ever had, had no cheese!

Vegan cheese and crackers. Along with houmous and dried tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well fair play to them.

David - You might like Gordon's Ramseys Pizza recipe which has no vegan 'cheese' or otherwise ...

See:
    https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/recipes/charred-aubergine-vegan-pizza/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It would be nice to try and make that yourself, then eat the same pizza at his restaurant to see who did it best :D
    It's actually really cool that he puts his recipe up there, I'll try it (and his dough).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

I love the One Planet Pizza range - especially the Exotic Funghi Feast & Hawaiian.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Vegan cheese and crackers. Along with houmous and dried tomatoes.

On one of those videos Al Jazeers put up for World Food Day, they were discussing some of the many middle eastern variations of hummus. It had me drooling. I like trying different hummus ingredients, such as substituting beetroot for the chick peas...:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love beetroot hummous
    Worztron wrote: »
    I love the One Planet Pizza range - especially the Exotic Funghi Feast & Hawaiian.
    I had the Hawaiian, lovely. Just expensive!

It's actually really cool that he puts his recipe up there, I'll try it (and his dough).

Sorry for being thick but I can't find that recipe, TA. Can you give me a link please? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/vegan-pizza-wins-national-pizza-of-the-year-at-the-national-pizza-awards/

parmigiana-party.jpg

They have restaurants in London and Brighton if anybody is visiting there, let me know how it is!

Jeez.I've thrown up something better looking after 20 pints.

magentis wrote: »
    Jeez.I've thrown up something better looking after 20 pints.

I dunno. The guy on the right don't look too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sorry for being thick but I can't find that recipe, TA. Can you give me a link please? Thanks.

David - I know you only advocate for vegans having any voice whatsover around here - but Tar was replying to my previous post. This is it again.

gozunda wrote: »
    David - You might like Gordon's Ramseys Pizza recipe which has no vegan 'cheese' or otherwise ...

See:
    https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/recipes/charred-aubergine-vegan-pizza/

Enjoy ....

Advertisement