Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 people killed in car crash in New York

Options
  • 08-10-2018 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously car crashes in other countries tend not to be of note, but this is pretty exceptional, if not for the number, but also the nature of the victims;

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2018/1008/1001662-new-york-limo-crash/

The birthday girl and her three sisters, her husband & his brother, her sister's husband, and another newlywed couple.

No doubt other names will reveal close connections between the other 8 passengers. That's a monumental amount of tragedy to befall one set of families, very sad.

Initial reports say the limo sped through a red light before hitting a parked car, I wonder if the driver suffered a heart attack or something.

Edit: Suggestions from reddit that this is a notorious issue at this junction; a 55mph speed limit coming down a steep and winding hill towards the junction, so you don't even see the lights until you're quite close, and someone unfamiliar with it will have trouble coming to a stop in time. Allegedly the limo's brakes had failed with the heavy braking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

a bit of a tip

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

17 in a limo? Tad excessive isn't it?
    Unless it was a limo bus I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

razorblunt wrote: »
    17 in a limo? Tad excessive isn't it?
    Unless it was a limo bus I'm guessing.
    The Viper's stretch Hummer can carry 16 passengers.

They're also a little more relaxed about safety laws in the US, I imagine stretch limos carry as many people as they can fit on seats.

Does make you think; busses get away without seat belts because their size usually means in a crash they'll just plow through stuff and not come to a sudden stop. A limo probably doesn't weight nearly as much; seat belts should probably be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

so so sad .... 4 sisters included amoung the victims.
    such a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Apparently the limo involved shouldn't have been on the road because it failed the NY state inspection test last month and the driver didn't have the required licence. The owner of the company is a former FBI informer according to ABC News.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Scary stuff.

Just shows you though how much responsibility a driver has especially those operating any people transportation.

R.I.P to all, it's very sad.

Brings back to the worst we had here where 8 were in a ordinary Passat and the driver lived but was responsible for the deaths of all on board and the other car driver he drove straight into.

People really need to be more responsible and that company should be shut down and none of the directors should be allowed run, work for or have anything to do with transportation in any way.

Advertisement