Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo type games on other formats

Options
  • 08-10-2018 9:20am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Nintendo probably have the strongest branding in their games, not in terms of shoehorning Mario et al into every game, though they can be guilty of that, but their games seem to have a feel that is absent in the other formats.

Very little of this is evident in Sony or MS games, and when they do happen upon a Nintendo like thread, that's what people describe it as, as with Astrobot on the PSVR system, it's being likened to a Sony version of Super Mario Galaxy.

Puppeteer and Tearaway are two more that, if you haven't played them, you really should, both are pretty brilliant.

The former, on the PS3, is visually stunning while the latter just kicks over the tables of expectation left, right and centre, though you'll have to own a PS Vita to play it.

Any other Nintendo like titles on other formats that anyone can mention, straight clones/ripoffs excepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nintendo probably have the strongest branding in their games, not in terms of shoehorning Mario et al into every game, though they can be guilty of that, but their games seem to have a feel that is absent in the other formats.

Very little of this is evident in Sony or MS games, and when they do happen upon a Nintendo like thread, that's what people describe it as, as with Astrobot on the PSVR system, it's being likened to a Sony version of Super Mario Galaxy.

Puppeteer and Tearaway are two more that, if you haven't played them, you really should, both are pretty brilliant.

The former, on the PS3, is visually stunning while the latter just kicks over the tables of expectation left, right and centre, though you'll have to own a PS Vita to play it.

Any other Nintendo like titles on other formats that anyone can mention, straight clones/ripoffs excepted.

Tearaway came out on the PS4 a while back!

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/tearaway-unfolded-ps4/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think a Hat in Time qualifies. I got it in a Humble Bundle for the PC a few months back. When it was announced on Switch, I stopped playing it. I want it on Switch! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

chrislad wrote: »
    Tearaway came out on the PS4 a while back!

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/tearaway-unfolded-ps4/

I have it, it's a sequel to the PS Vita original.
    One of the many Nintendo like things about Tearaway was it's remarkable use of the hardware features in really brilliant ways, but the PS4 is just too vanilla a console to host such things, so the followup didn't quite light the skies as the original did.
    Honestly, Tearaway alone is worth owning a Vita for.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I think a Hat in Time qualifies. I got it in a Humble Bundle for the PC a few months back. When it was announced on Switch, I stopped playing it. I want it on Switch! :)

Yeah, definitely want this as well, it was released around the same time as Mario Odyssey and yet didn't get lost in the adulation of the Switch game and seemed to make waves of it's own. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't 3D Dot Game Heroes on PS3 a 3d version of 2d Zelda games?

As for Tearaway, I started it on Vita but turned out to be a trial and not a Plus game as I thought. So started something else and never went back to it.
    Think the difference between Vita and PS4 as well was that it used the PS4 camera for parts but unlike the Vita, it didn't come as standard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have 3D Dot Game Heroes at home but I've yet to play it, though Cidonalad has had a crack at it.
    I think he liked it but packed it in to play Dishonored instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Rocket League kinda gives me that feeling.

Advertisement