Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size generator should I get?

Options
  • 08-10-2018 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Just moved into our new house and realised were screwed if we have power cut.
    Its all electric
    Has an oil fired range and a well..no mains water.

What size/make generator should I be getting.?
    Its a 4 bed bungalow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just moved into our new house and realised were screwed if we have power cut.
    Its all electric
    Has an oil fired range and a well..no mains water.

What size/make generator should I be getting.?
    Its a 4 bed bungalow.

15kva.
    At least you'll be able to take a shower at the same time as keeping the heating going and allow for the submersible pump starting.

Are you thinking of engine driven, or tractor powered?

Tractor driven ones are usually Fromate or Magnate brands ( on farms around here anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭bassy

10kva diesel gennie would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    15kva.
    At least you'll be able to take a shower at the same time as keeping the heating going and allow for the submersible pump starting.

Are you thinking of engine driven, or tractor powered?

Tractor driven ones are usually Fromate or Magnate brands ( on farms around here anyway)

Just a standard deisel powered. Don't have a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭bassy

10 to 15kva would be sufficent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If it was me and I was loaded 10 to 15 kVA, if I wasn’t roiling in it 5 kVA would do just fine. With an oil fired range heating wouldn’t be an issue.

• Advertisement

Just a standard deisel powered. Don't have a farm.

As you probably don't own a tractor then, a Stephill diesel or similar will what youll need.
    8 to 10kva will do ghe job, its just that a power shower takes something like 5 to 7 kva to run, and add in lights (minimal I know) a fridge, a freezer, the sub.pump in the well and perhaps someone flicking on the kettle (2 to 3kva) its good to have a bit in reserve.

This is all rough and ready calculations, there are loads of people on here who are actually qualified and will advise you better.

You wont be running it continously either. A few hours in morning, and at lunchtime and at night will be enough, both diesel wise and noise wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

1950's tech ftw : Start-o-Matic Lister

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One thing to consider is the quality of the power, if its a dirty spiky genset with no inverter or AVR you may find it causing problems with electrical equipment that needs a clean power source.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

its just that a power shower takes something like 5 to 7 kva to run

This one which is quite typical is less than 0.7 kW:

http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/monsoon/u30-bar-twin/

Remember it is possible to load shed during a power cut. This makes it possible to live quite comfortably with a small generator. A fridge or freezer is will be ok for a few hours without power if you are really concerned. Thanks to LED technology a 100 watts of lightning can be a lot of lights on.

Thats am impressive pump, and if the OP had solid fuel heating the water would be a good unit.
    From my own experience, a lot of houses have a Triton T90 or similar, and they are hard run.
    We have a 15 kva Fromate gennie, usually hooked up to the pto shaft of a 90 hp Fiat tractor when the power goes out, and if someone goes to take a shower you will really hear the load come on the tractor when the button is pushed.
    Of course, as we seldom have prolonged power cuts, its perfectly possible to go a day or three without a shower and a smaller gennie will do perfectly well.

PS, a quick google shows a Triton T90 as drawing 8.5 kva!

• Advertisement

From my own experience, a lot of houses have a Triton T90 or similar, and they are hard run.

Understood. The solution is simple, don't run an instantaneous shower when using the generator. The OP has no end of hot water thanks to the range so either use a non-instantaneous pumped shower (if there is one), use the bath or do without.

Obviously a 15kVA generator would be better. I'm just making the point that there are far more affordable solutions available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mix up in terminology between power showers and instant showers perhaps.

Instant showers use more electrical power. But power showers have a more powerful flow.

Terminology, a restrictive obsession with some, and of little concern to others. And everything in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2011 wrote: »
    Understood. The solution is simple, don't run an instantaneous shower when using the generator. The OP has no end of hot water thanks to the range so either use a non-instantaneous pumped shower (if there is one), use the bath or do without.

Obviously a 15kVA generator would be better. I'm just making the point that there are far more affordable solutions available.

Range is oil not solid fuel.. I assume bit needed electricity as well.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Very little needed for the non electric heating systems. Couple of hundred watts at most. 0.1 - 0.2kw maybe.

+1 to the previous post.

Oil is the real fuel in this case.

Advertisement