Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepping old walls - I've messed up

Options
  • 07-10-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I'm helping someone renovate an old house (1879) and I've messed up. The bedroom had embossed paper and my suggestion to leave well enough alone was ignored and he stripped it off :eek:.
    I'm trying to get a bit of work done while he is away working. I've sanded the room with an orbital sander 3 times, filled in all the holes and applied a primer. It looks sh1te ! The walls felt smooth to the touch after sanding but the primer has shown up what I thought was smooth. I know the best thing would be to get the room skimmed but the funds just aren't there at the moment. Is there any point in continuing with painting ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

well you may have a bigger issue as if its an old house what construction is the wall: chances are it has some lime in the construction....

pls describe the wall construction from outside in

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

well you may have a bigger issue as if its an old house what construction is the wall: chances are it has some lime in the construction....

pls describe the wall construction from outside in

Ah now don't be asking me technical questions:D
    It looks like solid brick with pink coloured plaster on the inside (total layperson's opinion). There are about 10 different layers of paint of every colour and sanding doesn't remove every trace of old paint. I thought I had smoothed them sufficiently but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would hanging lining paper be the way to go, it would cover blemishes and give you a surface to paint from.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/red-label-double-lining-paper-natural-1200gsm-560mm-x-20m.html

_Brian wrote: »
    Would hanging lining paper be the way to go, it would cover blemishes and give you a surface to paint from.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/red-label-double-lining-paper-natural-1200gsm-560mm-x-20m.html

I'd happily use lining paper but he who must be obeyed is totally opposed to the idea. Don't know why as it would cover a multitude

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

is it Brick, Block or stone ? Is there plasterboard or lime plaster on the inside?

Is the outside rendered or not rendered.

These are all fairly basic questions but each of them would mean what the preferential options will be.

• Advertisement

Hi Listermint,
    It's brick with plaster on the inside, outside is rendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭J.R.

jos28 wrote: »
    I'd happily use lining paper but he who must be obeyed is totally opposed to the idea. Don't know why as it would cover a multitude

If lining paper is installed properly and painted the finish looks like a plastered wall....................very hard to tell difference to the untrained, experienced eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

J.R. wrote: »
    If lining paper is installed properly and painted the finish looks like a plastered wall....................very hard to tell difference to the untrained, experienced eye.
    So what you are saying is don't tell him, sure he's away;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Whoever “him” is sounds like a pain in the ass.
    Give him a kick in the hole and a full reality check, lining paper or a reskim of the walls is the two options that I’d see here.

_Brian wrote: »
    Whoever “him” is sounds like a pain in the ass.
    Give him a kick in the hole and a full reality check, lining paper or a reskim of the walls is the two options that I’d see here.

:D:D:D Ah he's not that bad really ;).
    He's back today and thought I'd done a great job and reckoned I was being too fussy. He was chuffed as it's an old house and it won't be perfect. Paint is going on tomorrow and he can skim/paper/do whatever when he gets some cash together.
    Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement