Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an ioniq

Options
  • 06-10-2018 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Im thinking of buying my first ev and I like the look of the Hyundai ioniq, but I’ve a few questions and would welcome advice.

(1) does the ioniq support dc fast charge? I might be changing jobs that could involve higher mileage, journeys of 200km once or twice a week.
    (2) how do you think the ioniq compares with other ev’s in its price bracket, eg the leaf?
    (3) how do you go about getting an outside box for charging your car overnight? The 32a? Are these put in for free from esb ecars?
    (4) how much does it cost to charge an ioniq from say 40% charge to 80% charge at a dc fast charge station and how long would it take? (If it supports fast charge)
    (5) are there any optional extras I should be getting for the ioniq that you would recommend?
    (6) how do I find out if the battery has lost any charging capacity if I buy a second hand one?
    (7) Anything else I should be looking for?

Sorry for all the questions, but it’d be a big change!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

1: CCS charging upto 75kw
    2: Used/new ioniqs are quite expensive because they are so good.
    3:Charge point is from the SEAI grant. No longer a free item.
    4:zero cost at present on fast chargers (ESB) Ionnity are coming in and they'll charge. 40%-80% in 15 mins
    5: if from the Uk get the premium SE
    6:an OBD dongle.
    7: Ioniq fanboys :P will answer the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well answered there :)

Have a look at the Ionity charger thread, lots of info in there. They've applied for planning permission for 3 fast charging sites in Ireland already. Another 6 to come. All of them will have at least 6 chargers, so 6 cars can fast charge at the same time (on the Irish public chargers only one car can fast charge at the same time). They will charge a flat fee of €8 for a charge

An Ioniq will charge from 40-80% on one of their chargers in about 9 minutes 30 seconds :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

unkel wrote: »
    Well answered there :)

Have a look at the Ionity charger thread, lots of info in there. They've applied for planning permission for 3 fast charging sites in Ireland already. Another 6 to come. All of them will have at least 6 chargers, so 6 cars can fast charge at the same time (on the Irish public chargers only one car can fast charge at the same time). They will charge a flat fee of €8 for a charge

An Ioniq will charge from 40-80% on one of their chargers in about 9 minutes 30 seconds :cool:

Wow that’s pretty impressive.
    How long does it take to charge at existing dc fast charger stations, i suppose that depends on the kw rating of the charger?
    What’s your opinion on the infrastructure we have at the minute, for instance if I’m going from Dublin to west cork, do you think there’s adequate dc fast charging options on that route to get me their and back and is there a way of knowing if the fast charger is occupied?
    If so can the app (or whatever) re route you to the nearest charger station?
    Do you come across problems with infrastructure being out of use much, or even ice cars parking in charging stations. (I’ve seen this happen a couple of times which would really piss me off!)
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Existing fast chargers are 43kw or 55kw, so just do the math for yourself.
    Infrastructure at the minute sucks. Ionnity will help the situation, especially if you're travelling distances.
    The ESB charge map shows if someone is plugged in but its slow and unreliable and no, theres no app that will work out where you should go next if stations are broke or in use. ( well none I know of anyway)
    I'm in cork and the chargers (4 fast ones) have all been out of use at one time.
    I personally never was Ice'd but others have been. It was a more common site for local yokels to park their car into a fast charger and feck off for hours leaving it plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ewj1978 wrote: »
    It was a more common site for local yokels to park their car into a fast charger and feck off for hours leaving it plugged in.
    This (local freeloaders) is in my opinion the worst part of EV ownership

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    This (local freeloaders) is in my opinion the worst part of EV ownership

I'd go with the single point of failure infrastruture being the biggest frustration, but then the two are intrinsically linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭zg3409

>(1) does the ioniq support dc fast charge?

Yes. It can only charge fast where there is CCS, not on all the older fast chargers . Generally the fast chargers with 3 cables.

>I might be changing jobs that could >involve higher mileage, journeys of >200km once or twice a week.

200km is very dodgy. The range is often 190km, or even as low as 160km, and that is round trip so 80km from home without stopping to charge. I think you may need car with 40kwh battery like 40kwh Zoe or leaf. (edit others say even 40kwh battery may struggle 200km guaranteed)

>(2) how do you think the ioniq compares >with other ev’s in its price bracket, eg the >leaf?

Equivalent 30kwh leaf is cheaper, but less motorway range. More headroom in leaf. Ioniq has more bells and whistles as standard, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping etc.

>(3) how do you go about getting an >outside box for charging your car >overnight? The 32a? Are these put in for >free from esb ecars?

Apply for 600 euro grant from seai and then you might need to top it up with 3 or 4 hundred depending on how you shop around and location of charger and fuseboard

>(4) how much does it cost to charge an >ioniq from say 40% charge to 80% >charge at a dc fast charge station and >how long would it take? (If it supports >fast charge)

20 to 30 minutes plus queuing if someone is using charger with no guarantee other user will ever return to their vehicle. Fast chargers are free at the moment, but eventually will be more expensive than home charging. (40 to 80% is faster, but typical fast charge is often 30% to 94% on Ioniq which is about half an hour)

>(5) are there any optional extras I should >be getting for the ioniq that you would >recommend?

Both charging cables (granny and type 2) plus 15metres standard extension lead, plus a long type 2 cable for when a petrol car blocks in slow charger and your normal cable will not reach. You can get leather from UK on some models .

>(6) how do I find out if the battery has >lost any charging capacity if I buy a >second hand one?

There is a dongle and a custom bodge of torque app, but probably not worth it unless you are very techie. Low mileage should be OK. The distance range when fully charged is based on driving style so may be higher or lower depending on driver style.

>(7) Anything else I should be looking for?

Price, shop around, set up an alert on auto trader from UK. People have got them for uk19000. Typically around 26k euro. Calculate fuel savings, years to break even, factor in depreciation of at least 3000 per year, consider hanging on to old car for 6 months in case you change your mind or for long trips.

Are you a 2 car household ? Could you bear to wait 1.5 hours queuing at fast charger? Download app zapmap and filter for CCS fast chargers. You should assuming every second charger will be broken or busy, and factor in stopping every 100km and be sure you can make 2 or 3 fast chargers within 160km of you long trip. I never use public chargers on normal trips. For longer than 80km from home I tend to stop after say 80km and top up in 10 minutes, or if charger is busy continue another 40km to next charger, then start to panic if that one is busy. Some routes that is simply not possible so I need to plan going the long way, to be sure to pass 2 or 3 fast chargers. Fast chargers are busy at peak times such as rush hour and weekend daytime.

You might be worth waiting a year or 2 for cheaper 40kwh cars or even 64kwh cars like Hyundai Kona which is available new from January 2019, but in limited quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rayhoughton

Can I join in with a question on this as well, thinking about buying one also and coming to it with zero knowledge save what's building up in the last few days.

Would there be a specific recommended charger to get put in at home for this? I.e brand / type etc?

zg3409 wrote: »

Yes. It can only charge fast where there is CCS, not on all the older fast chargers . Generally the fast chargers with 3 cables.

>I might be changing jobs that could >involve higher mileage, journeys of >200km once or twice a week.

200km is very dodgy. The range is often 190km, or even as low as 160km, and that is round trip so 80km from home without stopping to charge. I think you may need car with 40kwh battery like 40kwh Zoe or leaf.

>(2) how do you think the ioniq compares >with other ev’s in its price bracket, eg the >leaf?

Equivalent 30kwh leaf is cheaper, but less motorway range. More headroom in leaf. Ioniq has more bells and whistles as standard, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping etc.

>(3) how do you go about getting an >outside box for charging your car >overnight? The 32a? Are these put in for >free from esb ecars?

Apply for 600 euro grant from seai and then you might need to top it up with 3 or 4 hundred depending on how you shop around and location of charger and fuseboard

>(4) how much does it cost to charge an >ioniq from say 40% charge to 80% >charge at a dc fast charge station and >how long would it take? (If it supports >fast charge)

20 to 30 minutes plus queuing if someone is using charger with no guarantee other user will ever return to their vehicle. Fast chargers are free at the moment, but eventually will be more expensive than home charging.

>(5) are there any optional extras I should >be getting for the ioniq that you would >recommend?

Both charging cables (granny and type 2) plus 15metres standard extension lead, plus a long type 2 cable for when a petrol car blocks in slow charger and your normal cable will not reach. You can get leather from UK on some models .

>(6) how do I find out if the battery has >lost any charging capacity if I buy a >second hand one?

There is a dongle and a custom bodge of torque app, but probably not worth it unless you are very techie. Low mileage should be OK.

Price, shop around, set up an alert on auto trader from UK. People have got them for uk19000. Typically around 26k euro. Calculate fuel savings, years to break even, factor in depreciation of at least 3000 per year, consider hanging on to old car for 6 months in case you change your mind or for long trips.

Are you a 2 car household ? Could you bear to wait 1.5 hours queueing at fast charger? Download app zapmap and filter for CCS fast chargers. You should assuming every second charger will be broken or busy, and factor in stopping every 100km and be sure you can make 2 or 3 fast chargers within 160km of you long trip. I never use public chargers on normal trips. For longer than 80km from home I tend to stop after say 80km and top up in 10 minutes, or if charger is busy continue another 40km to next charger, then start to panic if that one is busy. Some routes that is simply not possible so I need to plan going the long way, to be sure to pass 2 or 3 fast chargers. Fast chargers are busy at peak times such as rush hour and weekend daytime.

You might be worth waiting a year or 2 for cheaper 40kwh cars or even 64kwh cars like Hyundai Kona which is available new from January 2019, but in limited quantity.
    Have you even seen an Ioniq.

None of the above is even remotely correct.
    To get range of 160km in Ioniq you need to drive above 140 km/h on a hilly motorway with the heater on full. Minimum range is 175km/h if you follow the legal limits on a cold day with heater, or a hot day with AC.

40-80% does not take "20-30" minutes. 20 at a push. But more likely 15, as the Ioniq is drawing its fastest charge speed in that area of the band.

Stopping every 100km is reserved for leafs, I would normally leave 150km gaps, with the redundancy that there's generally another charger within 30-45km.

Seriously. Drive the car, or don't give "advice" (using the term loosely).
    I do 4-5k km per month in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

In my experience 120km/h on M6 motorway would drain battery in 160 km even on relatively warm day, so I'm surprised that efficiency is higher at 140km/h.

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »
    In my experience 120km/h on M6 motorway would drain battery in 160 km even on relatively warm day, so I'm surprised that efficiency is higher at 140km/h.
    That's funny because I did 165km from Lucan to Cashel at 130km/h indicated and arrived with around 12% left.
    Running the AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

That's funny because I did 165km from Lucan to Cashel at 130km/h indicated and arrived with around 12% left.
    Running the AC.

I know, that is why I find it interesting. Constant 130km/h seems to be given better range than constant 120km/h (with exception of Athlone bypass where is 100km/h). It could be some aerodynamic effect I guess.

200km is very dodgy. The range is often 190km, or even as low as 160km, and that is round trip so 80km from home without stopping to charge. I think you may need car with 40kwh battery like 40kwh Zoe or leaf.

20 to 30 minutes plus queuing if someone is using charger with no guarantee other user will ever return to their vehicle. Fast chargers are free at the moment, but eventually will be more expensive than home charging.

There is a dongle and a custom bodge of torque app, but probably not worth it unless you are very techie. Low mileage should be OK.

Are you a 2 car household ? Could you bear to wait 1.5 hours queueing at fast charger? Download app zapmap and filter for CCS fast chargers. You should assuming every second charger will be broken or busy, and factor in stopping every 100km and be sure you can make 2 or 3 fast chargers within 160km of you long trip. I never use public chargers on normal trips. For longer than 80km from home I tend to stop after say 80km and top up in 10 minutes, or if charger is busy continue another 40km to next charger, then start to panic if that one is busy. Some routes that is simply not possible so I need to plan going the long way, to be sure to pass 2 or 3 fast chargers. Fast chargers are busy at peak times such as rush hour and weekend daytime.

Very informative thank you.

I’m getting that the ioniq might just have too small a battery pack for my needs.
    You said the ioniq will fast charge where there is ccs, can it use CHAdeMo charging stations or do these stations have both ccs and CHAdeMo? As I understand it CHAdeMo is Japanese dc fast charge and CCS is European dc fast charge?

I believe the kona would be a fair bit more expensive than the ioniq without the trim levels that would be available for the ioniq in Ireland which is unfortunate, but it would help with the range anxiety.

Can only one ev charge at a time at each individual station. Eg can you have two ioniqs using the same charging station one on dc fast, the other on ac fast?

(Totally off the wall question here) What are your thoughts of being in the car while the cars charging, ie your pushing a lot of charge into the car, would anyone be worried about e.m.f or anything? (Applies to a.c charging only I’d say)Probably a silly question to be honest.

I wonder if its actually due to more or less undulation as I can't see how going faster would be more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭zg3409

To answer comments I own ioniq and new purchasers need to plan for worst case. I have found fast chargers occupied 2 in a row, with not enough range to make third one on route. I would not buy one with weekly 200km trips planned.

>You said the ioniq will fast charge where >there is ccs, can it use CHAdeMo >.charging stations or do these stations >have both ccs and CHAdeMo? As I >understand it CHAdeMo is Japanese dc >fast charge and CCS is European dc fast >charge?

Ioniq is CCS only. Leaf has [edit CHAdeMo for fast, AC for slow] plugs. Older fast chargers are only CHAdeMo, no CCS cable. You can filter old ones out on zapmap app. Slow chargers you bring your own cable so does not matter.

CCS is future in Europe, even [edit]
    >I believe the kona would be a fair bit >more expensive than the ioniq

Probably 10,000 euro more for double the range +. Irish kona will not have active cruise. Kona is actually slightly smaller

>Can only one ev charge at a time at each >individual station. Eg can you have two >ioniqs using the same charging station >one on dc fast, the other on ac fast?

Generally no, it depends on charger. Nearly all with CCS can also charge AC fast for likes of Zoe at same time, but the normal issues is Nissan leaf hogging CHAdeMo and you must wait on CCS. You can slow charge using AC cable on most chargers while you wait for CCS to work [edit and newer leaf can also slow charge using fast AC cable]

>(Totally off the wall question here) What >are your thoughts of being in the car >while the cars charging, ie your pushing >a lot of charge into the car, would >anyone be worried about e.m.f or >anything?

More emf from a mobile phone. Your car is trying not to generate emf to pass regulations .

In relation to the question about home charger, ioniq is type 2 and can charge up to 6.5kw/h at home[edit some say 7.4kw]. A tethered charger is more convenient as you do not need to put wet cable in car boot each morning. I like Zappi particularly if you have instant shower and I have longer 8 metre cable to reach over and around other cars in driveway. Definitely try install higher power 32 amp (7.4kw) outlet for current and future use. Your charger could last the lifetime of the house , longer than the car.

To answer comments I own ioniq and new purchasers need to plan for worst case. I have found fast chargers occupied 2 in a row, with not enough range to make third one on route. I would not buy one with weekly 200km trips planned.

>You said the ioniq will fast charge where >there is ccs, can it use CHAdeMo >.charging stations or do these stations >have both ccs and CHAdeMo? As I >understand it CHAdeMo is Japanese dc >fast charge and CCS is European dc fast >charge?

Ioniq is CCS only. New leaf has both plugs. Older fast chargers are only CHAdeMo, no CCS cable. You can filter old ones out on zapmap app. Slow chargers you bring your own cable so does not matter.

CCS is future in Europe, even leaf has gone that way.

>I believe the kona would be a fair bit >more expensive than the ioniq

Probably 10,000 euro more for double the range +. Irish kona will not have active cruise. Kona is actually slightly smaller

>Can only one ev charge at a time at each >individual station. Eg can you have two >ioniqs using the same charging station >one on dc fast, the other on ac fast?

Generally no, it depends on charger. Nearly all with CCS can also charge ac for likes of Zoe at same time, but the normal issues is Nissan leaf hogging either connector and you must wait. You can slow charge using AC cable on most chargers while you wait for CCS to work.

>(Totally off the wall question here) What >are your thoughts of being in the car >while the cars charging, ie your pushing >a lot of charge into the car, would >anyone be worried about e.m.f or >anything?

More emf from a mobile phone. Your car is trying not to generate emf to pass regulations .

In relation to the question about home charger, ioniq is type 2 and can charge up to 6.5kw/h at home. A tethered charger is more convenient as you do not need to put wet cable in car boot each morning. I like Zappi particularly if you have instant shower and I have longer 8 metre cable to reach over and around other cars in driveway. Definitely try install higher power 32 amp (7kw) outlet for current and future use. Your charger could last the lifetime of the house , longer than the car.
    It can charge up to 7.4kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

CCS is future in Europe, even leaf has gone that way.

The new Leaf is not CCS. It is still ChaDeMo for DC charging.
    It changed from a type 1 to type 2 AC socket but thats a different thing. Thats not CCS.

It can charge up to 7.4kW.

Maybe he means that that is what the battery will get after heat losses which would be just about right at 6.7kW

KCross wrote: »
    Maybe he means that that is what the battery will get after heat losses which would be just about right at 6.7kW
    Perhaps, but then he'd have to quote leaf figures including heat loss which is probably closer to 6kW, given the max gross is 6.6kW for all except the new leaf 40 (is that 7.4kW or is it still 6.6kW?)

Perhaps, but then he'd have to quote leaf figures including heat loss which is probably closer to 6kW, given the max gross is 6.6kW for all except the new leaf 40 (is that 7.4kW or is it still 6.6kW?)

L40 is 6.6kW the same as the old Leaf AFAIK... so yes, 6kW to the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's poor advice. The motorway range at 120km/h in Ioniq is similar or higher than in L40 or 40kWh Zoe. Certainly not lower. And fast charging the Ioniq is much quicker (should you need to do so on the way)

But yes, in all 3 cars 200km would be tricky enough on a bad day unless you drive at under 120km/h

I've averaged 240km range in my Ioniq over the last 4 months, driving it really hard in sport mode only, but mostly around the greater Dublin area. No Dublin to Cork runs at 140km/h in there...

This is all great advice thanks.
    It’s hard to justify the kona being 10k more than the ioniq, with it being a smaller car, poorer spec, albeit a larger battery.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

tom1ie wrote: »
    This is all great advice thanks.
    It’s hard to justify the kona being 10k more than the ioniq, with it being a smaller car, poorer spec, albeit a larger battery.

Buying new It's 7k more but the rest of the points are valid.

Advertisement