Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

30 in January - tax?

  • 06-10-2018 12:52pm
    #1
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭ hometruths


    I have an old yoke I have been mothballing until it turns 30, which is 1 January 2019 on the book.

    If I tax it in November for 3 months presumably I just have to suck up the third month at full whack even though the third month is January 2019?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭ Thinkingaboutit


    I would think so, but ask the Motor Tax Office. I found with an old bike that turned 30, I brought the documents into the Motortax office to change its taxation status, filling in the Form RF111, although it can be sent in, I just wanted to be sure. I found for me that the tax class had to be changed by application.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭ w124man


    I went into my local tax office with the intention of taxing my 29 years and 9 months old 124 and they were really good and changed the car over to VinVet and €56. It took about 30 minutes. Happy days but I must point out that it was the cars first tax in Ireland. They got on to Shannon and things happened.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,891 ✭✭✭✭ CJhaughey


    I had a bike that turned 30 this year and I had to send in the old logbook and have it replaced with a new one for the vintage/veteran tax.
    Your County Motortax office will be able to do this for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc


    w124man wrote: »
    I went into my local tax office with the intention of taxing my 29 years and 9 months old 124 and they were really good and changed the car over to VinVet and €56. It took about 30 minutes. Happy days but I must point out that it was the cars first tax in Ireland. They got on to Shannon and things happened.

    Jesus, not quite the same but I collected my new car on August 30th. They not only charged me for the whole month, but charged me 20 yoyo penalty for taxing it late when it was finally put on the motortax.ie site on September 4th

    You musta done some sweet talking ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ eusap


    A few years ago I went in to tax my 1986 230ce which at the time was 26 years old and was prepared to pay the €400 for the 6 months tax for the summer and the nice lady behind the counter told me the car qualified for vintage tax since it is based off the year of manufacturer and not the registration year. Because back "then" imported cars got a reg of the year of Import. 15 mins later full year tax disc issued for €74 (since I had to pay the back tax) the happiest of have ever left a tax office!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera


    CJhaughey wrote: »
    I had a bike that turned 30 this year and I had to send in the old logbook and have it replaced with a new one for the vintage/veteran tax.
    Your County Motortax office will be able to do this for you.

    That doesn't make sense at all?! No reason the replace an old log book - its part of the bike's history!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ Buffman


    schmittel wrote: »
    I have an old yoke I have been mothballing until it turns 30, which is 1 January 2019 on the book.

    If I tax it in November for 3 months presumably I just have to suck up the third month at full whack even though the third month is January 2019?


    Maybe I'm taking you up incorrectly, but if it's mothballed (off the road?), why do you want to tax it in November?
    Presumably it's declared of the road at the moment, so just continue that for now and tax it in January.

    If you are going to tax it from November, then yes, you'll have so suck up January and then change to vintage.

    Maybe have a chat with your local motor tax office, you might get lucky like some others here, but I'd say these days 'Computer says no' is what you'll be told.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭ hometruths


    Buffman wrote: »
    Maybe I'm taking you up incorrectly, but if it's mothballed (off the road?), why do you want to tax it in November?
    Presumably it's declared of the road at the moment, so just continue that for now and tax it in January.

    If you are going to tax it from November, then yes, you'll have so suck up January and then change to vintage.

    Maybe have a chat with your local motor tax office, you might get lucky like some others here, but I'd say these days 'Computer says no' is what you'll be told.

    Yes, I take your point but plan is it becomes my daily driver, and we become a two car household. That would be kind of convenient and tempting to pay the higher rate now for the convenience.

    However of more importance I think is the NCT situation. As I understand it if I wait until January I will get a 2 year NCT, whereas if I do it now, only 1 year.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    schmittel wrote: »
    However of more importance I think is the NCT situation. As I understand it if I wait until January I will get a 2 year NCT, whereas if I do it now, only 1 year.
    Sounds partly right. If you wait you should get 2 years from the expiry date of the last NCT at the least.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ Buffman


    schmittel wrote: »
    However of more importance I think is the NCT situation. As I understand it if I wait until January I will get a 2 year NCT, whereas if I do it now, only 1 year.


    You should check that with the NCT, AFAIK if the car is tested within 90 days of the due date it's taken as been tested on the due date, so the duration of the test validity should be the same. Definitely worth emailing them to check.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    When is the NCT due?


Advertisement