Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me to not kill my son

Options
  • 05-10-2018 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Thought that might get your attention :D

So my young lad had a UmiDigi Z Pro for a few months last year which was grand but somewhat buggy. He ended up saving and buying a Xiaomi A1 which was brilliant but of course smashed it a few days ago and it's proper goosed.

In the meantime he lent his UmiDigi Z Pro to a pal who was waiting for a new phone to arrive. All was good and his pal returned the phone but now that my lad needs to use the UmiDigi his pal can't remember the password he put on it and I'm a bit stumped trying to factory reset it.

Any suggestions?

I've tried getting into recovery mode but although I get some menus similar to what I expect to see in recovery mode I'm not being offered a Factory Reset mode.

Here are a few pictures of the menus I'm getting:-

When I reboot using Volume Down + Power + Home Button I get this menu. I've been through all the menu options and none of them offer a Factory Reset option.

Menu-11538777372.jpg

This is what I get when I reboot using Volume Up + Power + Home Button.

Menu-21538777526.jpg

The "Normal" option just reboots the phone, the fastboot option just hangs the phone and the Recovery option (which is the one I thought would finally give me access to an option to Factory Reset) just produces this screen which just sits there and does nothing:-

Menu-41538777708.jpg

Any suggestions for how I can actually either reset the lock screen password or how I can access a Factory Reset option which will hopefully allow the phone to be set up again from scratch so I don't have to kill my young lad for being a complete dipso????

(Only joking obviously!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Are you sure "clear eMMC" on the first screen didn't do anything? Try it again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Thought that might get your attention :D

So my young lad had a UmiDigi Z Pro for a few months last year which was grand but somewhat buggy. He ended up saving and buying a Xiaomi A1 which was brilliant but of course smashed it a few days ago and it's proper goosed.

In the meantime he lent his UmiDigi Z Pro to a pal who was waiting for a new phone to arrive. All was good and his pal returned the phone but now that my lad needs to use the UmiDigi his pal can't remember the password he put on it and I'm a bit stumped trying to factory reset it.

Any suggestions?

I've tried getting into recovery mode but although I get some menus similar to what I expect to see in recovery mode I'm not being offered a Factory Reset mode.

Here are a few pictures of the menus I'm getting:-

When I reboot using Volume Down + Power + Home Button I get this menu. I've been through all the menu options and none of them offer a Factory Reset option.

Menu-11538777372.jpg

This is what I get when I reboot using Volume Up + Power + Home Button.

Menu-21538777526.jpg

The "Normal" option just reboots the phone, the fastboot option just hangs the phone and the Recovery option (which is the one I thought would finally give me access to an option to Factory Reset) just produces this screen which just sits there and does nothing:-

Menu-41538777708.jpg

Any suggestions for how I can actually either reset the lock screen password or how I can access a Factory Reset option which will hopefully allow the phone to be set up again from scratch so I don't have to kill my young lad for being a complete dipso????

(Only joking obviously!!!)

I think you're on the right track.
    You need that recovery mode screen with the Android sitting there doing nothing.

You then need to know the next series of button presses. Usually power and volume up.

Hopefully you end up with a menu that offers factory reset.

Try that, you might have to mess around for a while, I always find that final bit frustrating to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

AllForIt wrote: »
    Are you sure "clear eMMC" on the first screen didn't do anything? Try it again please.

FFS!! :o

That absolutely nailed it. I must have skipped that option when I went through the menu.

Nice to know I spent a couple of hours chasing down the wrong path. Reminds me of flashing ROM's on old Android phones years ago!!

Thanks for helping me see the woods for the trees here AllForIt, I really appreciate it.

Phone is now unlocked and being set up by the young lad who can't believe I "hacked" his pal's password, if only he knew ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No problem Jean. I'm just glad you son gets to live another day.

Advertisement