Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Insurance Quote

Options
  • 05-10-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been posting here occasionally over the last few months and have got loads of invaluable assistance. I've my heart set on a inazuma 250 in the Uk and I'm just shopping around for insurance quotes.

Liberty & Carole Nash have both quoted me in the region of 900 euro for insurance?

Would this be typical for my scenario?

25 years old, IBT & Learner permit. 3 years no claims driving experince?

Is this a typical price and it will change drastically once I've the full test done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That is crazy high. Did they give a particular reason it's so high for a 250cc bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

No particular reason given.

being a liberty customer already I got a discount and the quote currently stands at 750 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i too am shopping around. plan on starting on a cbf600 and was quoted €600 by Nash. i am 40 years of age tho..with no experience other than the ibt. your quote seems too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Where are you living? Are you storing the bike in a garage or on driveway?

900 doesn't seem that high if you're living in Dublin tbh.

Not living in dublin.

I've experimented with a range of bikes and addresses and the only factor that measurably appears to change things is how many years riding experience and no claims bonus. May just have to take the hit until I do the test next spring.

Principal insurance did say they'd ring me back and try and beat liberty's quote to be fair to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm sure I didn't pay this much when I started but I was older than you. I presume you're not going fully comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i too am shopping around. plan on starting on a cbf600 and was quoted €600 by Nash. i am 40 years of age tho..with no experience other than the ibt. your quote seems too much.

Sounds a bit steep to me. I started on a Bandit 600 when I was 38. I paid €400 for TPT with Principle Insurance straight after IBT.
    There is certainly haggle room. Just play the insurers against each other.

On that note, why aren't you getting a 600?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Im 30 paid 390 on an sv650 fully comp with carole nash straight after ibt

zubair wrote:
    On that note, why aren't you getting a 600?

I'm honestly just looking for something to learn on that I won't break my heart over if I drop it. Next year when i do my full test I'd be planning on buying the bike I actually want after having a bit of experience and a 1 years no claims bonus.

I'm honestly having great difficulty finding a bike that would suit my needs in the short term and hence why I'm primarily looking at the UK market. Any recommendations would by greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

An imported or Irish reg inazuma is more expensive than most beginner friendly 600s though. Also, you're looking at 2016 models which doesn't reflect your concerns on dropping a good bike. Not sure what research you've done on the bike but there's better options available for less.

You're better off having your own bike thats suitable for the test. Did you do the A ibt?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That quote sounds like a laugh but tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭larchielads

3 yrs ago after i completed ibt, im 35 now, got a quote from acorn in the northern ireland, im living in waterford, for just shy of 400euro on a cbr600f third party fire and theft. Changed to carole nash this year my quote was just over 300 for same cover. Just passed my test 2 weeks ago so hopin i get a good discount in December when insurance is up

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Had 4 years on learner permit with Carole Nash. When I passed my test I rang to tell them and they said the price would go up as its now counted as year one of the full licence. After a bit of complaining they didn't charge any extra.

Typical Irish market. Get penalised for passing your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Got similar quotes when I was starting out. ~750 or so from liberty on an A2 bike/GS500, in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my first year was 480 on an sv650 at 21 years old. 2 years ago.. shop around mine was with principal

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buying a rare 250 because you're expecting to drop it seems like weird logic.

Just get something common and naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lumen wrote: »
    Just get something common and naked.

Women or bikes?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement