Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino scheme

Options
  • 05-10-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys, I should meet all the criteria, so wondering if anyone has feedback before o opt in? In Cork but would love opinion of anyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I did the normal public clinic on my first, and am currently 38 weeks pregnant and doing domino on my second.

Main perk for me has been no long waits for appointments. I've to bring my toddler with me, so sitting for hours in the hospital wouldn't work.

Midwives also seem to have more time to listen to your concerns and answer questions than the hospital doctors did. They seem more interested in me and my well-being- in the hospital I felt like patient #85 of the morning, rather than a person.

You generally see one of the same four or so midwives (I'm in Holles St though) for your appointments so there's more continuity of care, and one of those midwives will be the one to deliver your baby.

They really promote natural and active birth, without epidural, though - so if you are quite sure you'd like an epidural, it's probably not the scheme for you. You also don't get many scans at all. I only have had one scan at 20 weeks. Whereas in the hospital clinics, I wouldve had a quick scan at every appointment.

Obviously I've not experienced the labour side of the domino scheme yet, but based on my antenatal care, I would certainly opt for domino over public consultant-led care going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I did the Domino scheme in Holles St too and would echo what was said above. Another big plus for me was getting to leave hospital quickly. My baby was born at night and I was discharged at lunchtime the folllowubg day. I had midwives call for the following 6 days. I liked having someone to ask questions to as they popped up, especially with breast feeding as it can take a bit of time for that to get established / figure out what you’re doing!

Advertisement