Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost to lay a kilometre of rail line?

Options
  • 05-10-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

How much does it cost to lay a kilometre of rail line.
    Could a line be laid between Leixlip Confey and Adamstown for example?
    Could a line be laid between Leixlip Louisa Bridge and Hazelhatch?
    Could a spur be laid into Celbridge from Hazelhatch in some way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

The cost of a km of track is the least of your worries here. The cost of 1Km of land would be far more worriesome.

I have wondered if you could link intel to Louisa bridge with a tram line, that could continue through Easton (or to the side of it) over the M4, go to the west of OTM (or possibly thorough the old HP factory, but that gives you a smaller catchement area - and also puts you into the realm of infringing on Castletown), and somehow cross the river, and link up with Hazelhatch.

They should probably have built a new town (apartments, shops, etc) at Hazelhatch to take advanatage of the new "Dart" when it gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Rulmeq wrote: »
    The cost of a km of track is the least of your worries here. The cost of 1Km of land would be far more worriesome.

I have wondered if you could link intel to Louisa bridge with a tram line, that could continue through Easton (or to the side of it) over the M4, go to the west of OTM (or possibly thorough the old HP factory, but that gives you a smaller catchement area - and also puts you into the realm of infringing on Castletown), and somehow cross the river, and link up with Hazelhatch.

They should probably have built a new town (apartments, shops, etc) at Hazelhatch to take advanatage of the new "Dart" when it gets built.

It is about 600 metres. I wonder would Intel pay for some sort of connection running from the train station and beside the towpath.

A connection Louisa bridge to Hazelhatch would be about 5KM and I would have thought that as Castletown is owned by the state that would actually reduce the cost and also allow an actual 'Celbridge' train station.

I would suggest that land around the train stations at Confey , Hazelhatch and Fonthill should be CPOd by the state and used for high density housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A tram connecting Louisa Bridge with Intel? Why not connect Aviva Stadium with Lansdowne Road station with a tram?

And no, intel would not pay for it. Think they threw in 50 grand towards the “new” M4 junction 10-15 years ago.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A tram connecting Louisa Bridge with Intel? Why not connect Aviva Stadium with Lansdowne Road station with a tram?

And no, intel would not pay for it. Think they threw in 50 grand towards the “new” M4 junction 10-15 years ago.

I was talking about linking Lexilip with Hazlehatch, taking in Celbridge, (I threw in a final leg to Intel just because it's an extra few hundred metres, and sure why not)

I would have thought that as Castletown is owned by the state that would actually reduce the cost
    Are you trolling?

I would suggest that land around the train stations at Confey , Hazelhatch and Fonthill should be CPOd by the state and used for high density housing.
    Pretty sure IE owns most of the land around those stations already - I know there's 2 or 3 houses beside Hazelhatch that have been left derlict since the 4 tracking (and have no obvious road access to them, so assuming it's IE - you can see the tops of the roofs on the far side of the tracks from here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3239597,-6.5203717,3a,75y,305.19h,92.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swq4BET25Cmm19VOKwYmoVw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 overhead https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3238752,-6.5192798,128a,35y,290.36h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I was talking about linking Lexilip with Hazlehatch, taking in Celbridge, (I threw in a final leg to Intel just because it's an extra few hundred metres, and sure why not)

Because there is no way Intel would want public tram line on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A tram would be completely ott in my opinion. Bus Connects route 259 would be enough.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    A tram would be completely ott in my opinion. Bus Connects route 259 would be enough.

It would take more than an hour* during rush hour (it can take 30 minutes just to cross the bridge in Celbridge in the mornings, and longer if there's any issues on the M4)

As for being OTT, that can be said about everything.

* http://interactive.map.busconnects.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Intel use feeder buses with bartons. They aren't going to invest in a tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

If irish rail did the jobs it would probably cost twice as much as budgeted and be plaqued with problems. From someone that worked with them for yrs as a subcontractor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement