Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding guest sues hotel after skidding on petals from bride's bouquet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

everything is someone else's fault

everything can be solved with money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Doesn't mean that it was the hotels fault, but it was an accident that happened on the hotel's premises and the hotel has public liability insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭wonga77

It would be great if the judges just threw these type of cases out and put an end to the handy money compensation culture.
    She now has been told she has to live with a pain syndrome, finds it hard to dry her hair, can't wear jewellery on her left hand and cant knit anymore. It must have been some fall...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It was the Bride, on the Dance Floor with the Flowers.

Cluedo 2018 Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

She says she got up on the dance floor at 2:30 AM; I doubt it was the petals that landed her on her a*se.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ms White said she later got up on the dance floor at about 2.30am and her right foot skidded. She said she looked down and saw rose petals.
    I'm sure drinks wasn't an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah sure we'll just make fresh flower bouquets illegal. Who says that she fell because of the petals maybe she just fell...2.30 dancing at a wedding, and petals were the cause petals....hmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭wonga77

It wouldnt have mattered if she said she had drink on board, remember yer man in Sligo who slipped on the tiles outside his council house. He sued the council and he said that he was after 5 or 6 pints at a funeral I think it was. He still got paid out, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wonga77 wrote: »
    It would be great if the judges just threw these type of cases out and put an end to the handy money compensation culture.
    She now has been told she has to live with a pain syndrome, finds it hard to dry her hair, can't wear jewellery on her left hand and cant knit anymore. It must have been some fall...

If you fall hard, with an arm under you, the resulting injury can be severe indeed. I fell on a wood pile once, onto my hand and shattered the wrist. Still very painful and limited to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,079 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wexie wrote: »
    Doesn't mean that it was the hotels fault, but it was an accident that happened on the hotel's premises and the hotel has public liability insurance.

But isn't there a difference between suing someone and simply perseuing an insurance claim?

Edit - never mind, hotel denied responsibility. I'd argue (devil's advocate here, I know!) that the hotel should have cleaned the flowers up inside two hours? I mean, if you trip over something left lying around when it shouldn't, you'd expect to at least be covered.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Are ye pollen me leg? Thyme and thyme again we see this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fairly common scenario tbh.

Ie the venue are responsible for keeping public areas clear of hazards. If they didn't clean up the petals they did not honour their third party duty of care, as laughable as that sounds. It's why when you see a drink being spilled in a bar / Club almost instantly you will see a member of staff cleaning it up.

It's unfortunately pretty much a slam dunk for a claim, regardless of how much sauce may or may not have been consumed.

But isn't there a difference between suing someone and simply perseuing an insurance claim?

I dunno Princess, from my understanding of how insurance works here it seems to be a pretty vague difference in a lot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ie the venue are responsible for keeping public areas clear of hazards. If they didn't clean up the petals they did not honour their third party duty of care, as laughable as that sounds. It's why when you see a drink being spilled in a bar / Club almost instantly you will see a member of staff cleaning it up.

It's unfortunately pretty much a slam dunk for a claim, regardless of how much sauce may or may not have been consumed.

Valentine's Day must be an absolute disaster for the hotel business then.
    Staff calling to each room breaking up romantic encounters in order to remove petals from the carpet and beds just in case the guests might slip on them ...................

Jebus Fluckin' Christ; what a country we live in.

Kivaro wrote: »

Valentine's Day must be an absolute disaster for the hotel business then.
    Staff calling to each room breaking up romantic encounters in order to remove petals from the carpet and beds just in case the guests might slip on them ...................

Wouldn't imagine flower petals are the worst thing they need to worry on valentine's day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It means exactly that the hotel was found to be at fault. The existence or lack of an insurance policy does not determine liability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If there was any karma in the world, she'd step out in front a double decker in the next week or so.

It means exactly that the hotel was found to be at fault. The existence or lack of an insurance policy does not determine liability

no indeed it doesn't but it does determine whether or not they're worth suing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How does one approach this. Do you rock up to some solicitor. I want to sue that hotel I slipped on my arse, there was a load of rose peddles on the floor.

I'd be nearly tempted myself just to see how this works to be honest. I wouldn't even go full blown, maybe something like on my phone and walk into a public gate or something. Sue the council cause the gate should have been open. Tell the judge I am living in fear of gates, and dreaming about gates.

It must be like X Factor for the judges, most dramatic and ridiculous one gets top prize.

no indeed it doesn't but it does determine whether or not they're worth suing

Nonsense. When a person decides to sue you for injuries, they have no idea whether you have insurance or not, nor do they care

• Advertisement

Nonsense. When a person decides to sue you for injuries, they have no idea whether you have insurance or not, nor do they care

That's absolutely true if they decided to sue ME... Not so much if they decide to sue a hotel wouldn't you say?

TallGlass wrote: »
    How does one approach this. Do you rock up to some solicitor. I want to sue that hotel I slipped on my arse, there was a load of rose peddles on the floor.

That's exactly how it happens and there is a template letter the solicitor fires off to the person they are suing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lots of insurance scam stories at the moment September must be a big month for renewals

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Petals was the name of the cocktail

That's absolutely true if they decided to sue ME... Not so much if they decide to sue a hotel wouldn't you say?

Solicitors will take an action against anyone they think might have even a vague association to an incident. Yes, they will concentrate their efforts on where there is a big pot or an insurance policy, but they don't worry about your financial position.

You can tell a lot of people haven't worked in a bar or a hotel here. Of course its the hotels fault.

As other (sensible) posters have pointed out, there should be no crap on a dance floor (liquids, glass, rose petals...)

As soon as you see a mess that endangers someone (haven't we all slipped on wet leaves before, so yes, rose petals on a dancefloor endangers people) you clean it up. Its hospitality 101.

You all need a lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People can't dust themselves off after a tumble anymore only ringing their solicitor. Ka-chingggg!

What a bunch of money chasing sad sacks. No wonder we are rode bareback with rising insurance costs.

Case settled out of court.

“The case was expected to resume today but this afternoon, Mr Justice Kevin Cross was told the case had been settled out of court and the amount of money involved wasn’t disclosed”

http://tippfm.com/news/crime-legal/tipperary-wedding-case-settled-court/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Watch the bridezillas moan and whinge now when churches and hotels won't let them scatter petals down the aisles for their big day, or throw their bouquet.
    TBH the bride put the petals there by throwing the bouquet...she was the one responsible and not the hotel.
    It's this sort of crap compo culture that we have here that has kids not allowed to run around school yards in case they fall and injure themselves. Total kill joy cases these are, and we're worse off as a society for entertaining such bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Case settled out of court.

“The case was expected to resume today but this afternoon, Mr Justice Kevin Cross was told the case had been settled out of court and the amount of money involved wasn’t disclosed”

http://tippfm.com/news/crime-legal/tipperary-wedding-case-settled-court/

Another report said the case had been compromised and the judge struck it out

Advertisement