Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim query

Options
  • 04-10-2018 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

My sister was in a very slight tip on Monday in a car park when reversing. She caused barely a scratch to the other car. She didn't take a picture.

She agreed with the other guy to not go through insurance. The estimate is definitely over the odds. What is the best way to handle this? Get a second opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Very vague on details there but if in any doubt go through insurance, that's what you pay them for.
    She can check with her insurance company if she can pay them back as to not affect any NCB etc (I have never done this myself but have heard it mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My take on this is you can’t damage someone’s car and then try to dictate where it’s foxed because you feel you can get a cheaper job done elsewhere.

Both our cars were damaged by other careless drivers last year and on both occasions we used the very best body shop around, definitely not the cheapest, but tue best in terms of finish.

I feel you have two choices, pay up, or go through insurance. Starting to crib about the price will surely cause the other person to go to the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My sister was in a very slight tip on Monday in a car park when reversing. She caused barely a scratch to the other car. She didn't take a picture.

She agreed with the other guy to not go through insurance. The estimate is definitely over the odds. What is the best way to handle this? Get a second opinion?

This is very common with people thinking it's only a scratch so it won't be expensive, I'll pay it myself. Then get a shock when a higher than expected bill arrives.

If your sister thinks the cost of repair is high then let her insurance company handle the claim. They will send out an assessor to view the damage and validate the repair costs. Your sister could talk to her insurance company about repaying them the claim amount so that it may not increase here annual premium.

But if your sister doesn't want to through her insurance then she doesn't have a say in where the car is repaired. The other party is under no obligation to get it repaired where the price suits your sister best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

She caused barely a scratch to the other car. She didn't take a picture.

Depending on where the 'barely a scratch' was on the car (and on what kind of car) it could mean a panel being out of alignment, a panel needing to be resprayed and blended in with the rest, a bumper needing to be replaced and so on and so forth, none of those are particularly cheap things to have done.

That's not to say there aren't people out there who would fully utilize the opportunity but unfortunately there's not much your sister can do about this without going through the insurance.

What kinda of money are they saying the quote is? And how does it measure up to (potentially) loosing her NCB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

If you claim off insurance you can reinstate the bonus later

But there will be an accident on record regardless

You have to notify insurers of this event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

biko wrote: »
    Very vague on details there but if in any doubt go through insurance, that's what you pay them for.
    She can check with her insurance company if she can pay them back as to not affect any NCB etc (I have never done this myself but have heard it mentioned)
    Step back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Maybe if the OP could be bothered to come back with the quoted Price he could be better advised....here's hoping the other Guy was NOT in his Car at the time the accident occurred.

Advertisement