Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim

Options
  • 03-10-2018 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was in an accident a few weeks ago.
    When we were filling in the form, my partner has me down as having no penalty points, it's his insurance, I have 3 points and I'm a named driver on his policy. He said he thought he had 3 in but obviously this was not the case.
    3 doesn't even affect your policy amount it was genuine oversite. I'm really annoyed but nothing I can do now.
    I have done a bit of research online and searched threads here also and from what I can gather, they will not pay out a claim because of undisclosed information.
    Neither of us have admitted fault in the accident and there are no witnesses, the other driver sent a solicitors personal injuries letter to my insurance company already.
    My car was wrote off and we have agreed a salvage amount and signed paperwork for this alreafy but we haven't sent the insurance claim form back yet.
    Could there be a charge of driving with no insurance if they say the insurance is void even though I wasn't aware my partner had wrong details on his policy. I'm very worried and I don't know what to do.
    Could be not claim off his insurance and just take salvage chq and then when he is insuring the next car ad my points on then?
    Do we need to go to a solicitor?
    I don't need anyone telling he should have put correct details down, I know this already.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Who are you insured with? It really depends on their acceptance criteria. There are some insurance companies who don't take on someone as new business if they have penalty points however as it's one of the more minor of non-disclosures they would more than likely just pay out the claim but charge an additional premium for the penalty points. I think Aviva have a higher excess if you don't disclose your points.

If the insurer accepts points as new business, they would just note it on the file and maybe charge an additional premium if one is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MsGryffindor

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Who are you insured with? It really depends on their acceptance criteria. There are some insurance companies who don't take on someone as new business if they have penalty points however as it's one of the more minor of non-disclosures they would more than likely just pay out the claim but charge an additional premium for the penalty points. I think Aviva have a higher excess if you don't disclose your

If the insurer accepts points as new business, they would just note it on the file and maybe charge an additional premium if one is due.

Insurance policy is with Allianz. I had read that here on another thread about Aviva charging 2k excess as points were not disclosed.
    I'm just very worried I suppose as we have no idea what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

As far as I know allianz don't mind just 3 points so you can call and tell them and it shouldn't make any difference. I don't think they even charge for 3 points.

Just tell them it was a mistake and be honest about it. They will more than likely just note it on their system and that will be the end of it.

Advertisement