Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skiing France recommendations

• 03-10-2018 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for a change from Austria this year and was thinking of France. Can anyone recommend somewhere, 2 parents & 17 ur old all intermediates but I like leisurely blues & reds, menfolk like decent reds & easy enough blacks. Doesn’t have to be mad apres ski but close to slopes/lift. Preferably hotel accommodation but am open to anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Totalelf wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for a change from Austria this year and was thinking of France. Can anyone recommend somewhere, 2 parents & 17 ur old all intermediates but I like leisurely blues & reds, menfolk like decent reds & easy enough blacks. Doesn’t have to be mad apres ski but close to slopes/lift. Preferably hotel accommodation but am open to anything

Somewhere in the Three Valleys would be good, Les Menuires is ski in/out and has a lot of great slopes around it. Not sure what the apres ski is like as I haven't stayed there before, but have passed through lots of times while staying in St. Martin de Belleville.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

As above Three Valleys are a good shout. Les Arcs, Alpe d’Huez, Morzine and their connecting resort all suitable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Les Menuires nice, more family than mad apres. I stayed in an all inclusive place that was very nice with a reasonable wellness area and ski in, so can't comment on the vibe of the village as just passed through, but has a reputation as being more family orientated.

Meribel Mottaret might even be better as you're in the middle of the 3 valleys and have lifts going up each side, but its a bit atmosphereless there. Stayed in the Pierre et Vacances there, a bit soulless but well located close to the lifts.

You cannot beat the 3 valleys for endless pistes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Thanks all for your suggestions, will have a little at them over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Another vote for the 3 Valleys.
    We stay in Les Arcs 1950 every year, and La Tania for a 2nd week sometimes.
    Both excellent, with the latter being tiny.
    Both On-Piste. Les Arcs can be pricey, especially 1950, but you definitely get what you pay for.
    Self-Accom is a big thing in these resorts, and totally worth it imo.

Some of the best ski areas you'll find, and if you're going in Spring? Nothing like it! But winter ski is also superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Avoriaz \ Morzine is by far my favorite spot in France. Avoriaz is a little village on top of the mountain and Morzine is the town below.

Plenty of runs for all levels - although they are mostly blue \ red
    Ski home
    Different snow parks for all levels (the Stash)
    Lots of long tree runs so when it gets cloudy you can still ski
    Plenty of lifts and fast ones
    Lots of bars \ restaurants\ shops and easy to walk around.
    They have a nice swimming pool and spa areas open to the public.
    Prices are fine - same as Ireland really and I never felt stung.
    Safe and easy to get around.
    Its about 1.5 hours from Geneva so you can cheap enough flights and then a bus from Geneva to Avoriaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Have gone to the Three Valleys - specifically Val Thorens, 3 times now and still not tired of it.
    Plenty of options in the immediate area and can easily get across to the other valleys too.
    Lovely long blues and reds, great atmosphere with two fun apres ski bars on the pistes themselves or lots of choices in restaurants / bars down in the town.
    I don't believe it is as expensive as Les Menuires or Meribel either.
    We stayed in the Village Montana twice which was great for ski in / ski out and had a self catering apartment which was tiny but comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭prunudo

If I was going back to France I'd choose Morzine over 3 Valleys. While the 3 valleys are great for their vastness and connectivity, Morzine and the (Portes du Soleil) is a better town and has nicer and more varied scenery.
    I think the fact it is an active town outside ski season helps rather than some of the purpose built towns of the 3 valleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tignes/Val d'lsere should be considered also. Fantastic skiing area, and both decent enough towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Thanks again for all the suggestions, have decided to go to Passo Tonale in Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Italy isn't in France?

(And that's one of the things I like about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Totalelf wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the suggestions, have decided to go to Passo Tonale in Italy

If you haven’t booked yet I’d advise to reconsider. Passo Tonale is a beginner resort and is very limited for anyone but beginners. There are so many other fantastic Italian resorts you could try.

Advertisement