Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose door handle

Options
  • 02-10-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭

Door handle of back pvc door pulled toward me yesterday
    Still locking etc but assume it needs replacing ?
    I’ve attached pics and would be grateful for any advice on where to purchase replacement if is a fairly straightforward job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

That's a standard munster joinery door handle , contact them and buy one off them ( actually buy two and put away for future use)
    And it's as easy as removing the two screws , take the handle off and replace the same way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

km79 wrote: »
    Door handle of back pvc door pulled toward me yesterday
    Still locking etc but assume it needs replacing ?
    I’ve attached pics and would be grateful for any advice on where to purchase replacement if is a fairly straightforward job

Yes it's the gold coloured handle and plate that needs replacing. The lock within the door would not be effected.
    It's a simple job with 2 or 3 screws on the inner side then both handles will fall off.
    You have to be sure to get the correct handles thought. There are different sizes so you need to get new ones with correct distance between screw holes key hole and handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

rovertom wrote: »
    Yes it's the gold coloured handle and plate that needs replacing. The lock within the door would not be effected.
    It's a simple job with 2 or 3 screws on the inner side then both handles will fall off.
    You have to be sure to get the correct handles thought. There are different sizes so you need to get new ones with correct distance between screw holes key hole and handle.

This is what I was worried about !!! Better be sure to get the right one

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Daveq

It's a little plastic washer inside that has broken when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My handle went also last week, got a new one but its still loose, could it be the washer?

• Advertisement

My handle went also last week, got a new one but its still loose, could it be the washer?

So replacing handle didn’t do the job ?
    Feck it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Feck it

Replacing the handle unit will fix your issue. If you spend 5 mins now and remove the handle you will see the play is between the moveable handle and it rectangular back plate, all of which you will be replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Same thing happened to mine a number of years back. It's the washer and plate that gets worn and then prevents the actual handle from staying put. Ordered a new door handle and plate and replaced. 5 minute job.

examples here but you can get them anywhere

https://www.windowanddoorparts.ie/product-category/door-parts/door-handles/

BTW, I'm not affiliated with this crowd - just googled

newbie2 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to mine a number of years back. It's the washer and plate that gets worn and then prevents the actual handle from staying put. Ordered a new door handle and plate and replaced. 5 minute job.

examples here but you can get them anywhere

https://www.windowanddoorparts.ie/product-category/door-parts/door-handles/

BTW, I'm not affiliated with this crowd - just googled

Thanks now I’ve to figure out which one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You could fix it temporarily with a CirClip similar to these ones on this website

Most hardware shops could sell you a couple for a few cents

21/25

• Advertisement

Feck it

Not for me anyway, I think the bar in the middle is a bit strained, kids hanging off of it :-(

Not for me anyway, I think the bar in the middle is a bit strained, kids hanging off of it :-(

Ah, you could have a different problem so :(

Is it loose, like it's dropping or loose in and out from the door?

This is my old one and the washer that broke.

Ah, you could have a different problem so :(

Is it loose, like it's dropping or loose in and out from the door?

This is my old one and the washer that broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Sounds like your need to replace the gearbox on the locking mechanism

massy086 wrote: »
    Sounds like your need to replace the gearbox on the locking mechanism

Yes I think at this stage it's like a spring is gone in the lock barrel. I've changed the handle and the metal shaft but its like the spring is gone. Can that be replaced or is it a new door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Yes I think at this stage it's like a spring is gone in the lock barrel. I've changed the handle and the metal shaft but its like the spring is gone. Can that be replaced or is it a new door?
    yes certainly the gearbox or the full locking mechanism can be replaced in the door.put up a couple of photo,s and I can help you identify the locking system.also if you see any manufacturer stamps or names post them too cheers

Just getting around to taking measurements of mine now
    Tricky enough take them with the handle on but I’m not ready to get one yet so don’t want to take it apart yet

For the pz (thank you tube ) I’m getting approx 70 mm
    For the length between the 2 screws I’m getting approx 200 mm
    Do these sound right ?

Advertisement