Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Thermostat E - New for Europe

Options
  • 02-10-2018 2:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nest have just announced their new Nest Thermostat E for Europe and it is a bit different then the US model. More designed for European setups, it comes with a Nest Heat Link which you can install on the wall, replacing the existing thermostat, while the screen goes in your living room:

https://nest.com/uk/thermostats/nest-thermostat-e/overview/

Hopefully they also officially support those temperature sensors and maybe they will eventually release smart TVR's to create a complete system.

One thought I have, I wonder will they ever release just the Heat Link, without the screen part. Afterall if you end up with a Google Home Screen, you could completely control it from that and wouldn't need a separate screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'm not seeing the price difference of this being justified - it's only what €20 cheaper than the full thing? And for that €20, you compromise on finish, wall mount-ability, hot water control & the farsight feature? The price difference would need to be larger to justify I think....
    Tend to agree regarding the Heat Link solo and use app / voice control (however it would need to be located in the main space in order to read the main space temperature...)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dardania wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the price difference of this being justified - it's only what €20 cheaper than the full thing? And for that €20, you compromise on finish, wall mount-ability, hot water control & the farsight feature? The price difference would need to be larger to justify I think....

Yes, I thought the same myself. but I think there are two points:

1) I expect you will see some big discounts on the E from time, to time, during sales etc. This feels like just an opening price, with it positioned cheaper for sales.

2) This one is designed for self install, while the standard one usually requires professional install. Pro install would obviously make it a lot more expensive.

I will say this is more aimed at the mainland European market, rather then Ireland where we usually have separate hot water cylinders. Most in Europe don't have hot water systems like that, instead they have a combi boiler hot water setup. I've a European style setup like this myself and this new E thermostat is very suited to this style. Installing this Thermostat is a very simple, 10 minute DIY job, almost as simple as changing a light bulb.

I'd say it will be very popular in mainland Europe and in new homes in UK/Ireland.
    Dardania wrote: »
    Tend to agree regarding the Heat Link solo and use app / voice control (however it would need to be located in the main space in order to read the main space temperature...)

Unless they activate the temperature sensors. Then a heat link + one temp sensor and a Google Home is all you would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have a nest in the hallway. Upstairs is a second dumb and basic thermostat. Could I replace this one with a Nest E to manage the upstairs zone? Can the nest and nest e work together??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I have a nest in the hallway. Upstairs is a second dumb and basic thermostat. Could I replace this one with a Nest E to manage the upstairs zone? Can the nest and nest e work together??

You can certainly get two Nest's to work as multiple zones, but I don't know if you can mix a Nest and Nest E. Good question. Also how the upstairs thermostat is wired might play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bk wrote: »
    You can certainly get two Nest's to work as multiple zones, but I don't know if you can mix a Nest and Nest E. Good question. Also how the upstairs thermostat is wired might play a part.

Just had a thought that because the nest downstairs controls the activation of the boiler through the heat link then the upstairs one, with the nest e, would only work if the downstairs nest is also on "Heat". Not great but better than the current situation I have where the downstairs nest is in effect controlling the entire household heating. Really need nest TRVs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

namloc1980 wrote: »
    bk wrote: »

Just had a thought that because the nest downstairs controls the activation of the boiler through the heat link then the upstairs one, with the nest e, would only work if the downstairs nest is also on "Heat". Not great but better than the current situation I have where the downstairs nest is in effect controlling the entire household heating. Really need nest TRVs!!
    In practice, what you do here is parallel the boiler activation signal so that either nest can switch it on. Usually this is done via the medium of zone valves - do you have them?
    If not, a single Nest + some sort of TRV solution (be it a future Nest, simple or more sophisticated) might be the best approach.

Advertisement