Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Malwarebytes an Ccleaner

• 02-10-2018 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a new Win 10 laptop and have historically always run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner alongside Windows Defender. I pay for the pro version of Malwarebytes but only use the free version of Ccleaner from time to time to remove tracking files and temporary junk as well as clean up the registry but I'm wondering if Windows Defender is now comprehensive enough to be used on a stand alone basis and ditch both Ccleaner and Malwarebytes.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hi all,

I've a new Win 10 laptop and have historically always run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner alongside Windows Defender. I pay for the pro version of Malwarebytes but only use the free version of Ccleaner from time to time to remove tracking files and temporary junk as well as clean up the registry but I'm wondering if Windows Defender is now comprehensive enough to be used on a stand alone basis and ditch both Ccleaner and Malwarebytes.

Any thoughts?

I just use the built in Windows Defender, with the caveat that I always keep everything up to date, both Windows itself, and the various applications I use, browsers, etc. I also use an ad blocker for almost every website.

As far as I'm concerned, unless you're downloading pirated games and applications, then the built in antivirus is totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi the malware bytes premium is very good at stopping rogue websites, bitcoin miner attempts, blocking outgoing stuff from your pc as well as incoming, finds PUP's and has 0 day exploit protection.

windows defender isnt bad, its a good anti virus these days. but it doesn't do the 'other' stuff. including the ccleaner stuff for freeing up space etc.

You have to ask yourself how safe do you want to be? if your personal analysis is you are a low risk user, and you will get away with it, fine. But dont kid youself about the risks- they are there. its not a like for like swap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hi the malware bytes premium is very good at stopping rogue websites, bitcoin miner attempts, blocking outgoing stuff from your pc as well as incoming, finds PUP's and has 0 day exploit protection.

windows defender isnt bad, its a good anti virus these days. but it doesn't do the 'other' stuff. including the ccleaner stuff for freeing up space etc.

You have to ask yourself how safe do you want to be? if your personal analysis is you are a low risk user, and you will get away with it, fine. But dont kid youself about the risks- they are there. its not a like for like swap.

It's all a trade off really. If you're not visiting dodgy websites with no ad blocker, opening email attachments from you spam folder, or sticking in random USB sticks that you find on the ground, then you should be fine with just Windows Defender. It's gotten much better since Win10 was first released, with parts of EMET folded in.

CCleaner just shouldn't be used at all, it's the cause of multiple problems in Windows 10. A quick search on google will show that it's not recommended anymore, again you're better off using the tools built in to Win10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JamesAlison

In Windows 10, you can go for Windows Defender. This is the safest tool provided by Windows free of cost. This is so useful for all these issues which are faced by users on regular basis. I'll recommend you to use Defender and left other tools.

Advertisement