Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail bike recommendations

Options
  • 01-10-2018 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I'm looking to move on from my old hardtail and get a new full suss trail bike. I know at the end of the day it's a personal choice, but would be interested to hear of people's experiences with recent-model bikes plus any recommendations.

My budget is approx 3k and am riding Coillte trails mostly at the moment and looking to progress to the more rocky and rooty stuff, red trails at the bike parks and so on.

I'm looking at trail bikes as I don't think I need an enduro grade bike for my usage. I'm in Dublin, and looking at Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. They all sound great, but since no shops seem to let you take one on the trails, it's hard to know how these bikes will feel in action!

Pluses, minuses, things to look for, things to avoid, all welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

More of a personal recommendation, but have a look at the Vitus Escarpe. This is Vitus' all mountain bike - can pick them up from in store in Chain Reaction Cycles in Belfast if you want. You will have change left over ;) Biking.ie have Vitus for hire so you can try one out there.

There are plenty of great bikes out there with a 3K budget - I'd also add Cube to your list of brands to look at.

With the Giant Trance you mentioned you won't go wrong, its like the Toyota of bikes ;)

Another brand to look at which offer great value for money at the moment is Radon - I am not sure if there are any dealers in Ireland, most people I know have bought them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I wouldn't spend anymore than €2k on a Vitus or Cube..

For value for money I'd go with Canyon, high spec for €3k

Or a Transition, on special offer: http://www.thebikerack.ie/a/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/transition/dublin/dun-laoghaire/smuggler-4/5956

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

check out as many bikes as you can get your hands on, by whatever means, renting and using them on trails is always a good option. you ll know yourself after a while what suits you. very happy with my 3k cube, but thats me. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Dublin2Bike are having a Trek demo day at Ticknock on 12 October - you could go along and try out a few bikes for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

More of a personal recommendation, but have a look at the Vitus Escarpe. This is Vitus' all mountain bike - can pick them up from in store in Chain Reaction Cycles in Belfast if you want. You will have change left over ;) Biking.ie have Vitus for hire so you can try one out there.

I started out with a 2nd hand Vitus Escarpe. It was a great all-rounder; really nice for both climbs and descents (including jumps and drop offs, etc). It was well under your budget too.

• Advertisement

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I started out with a 2nd hand Vitus Escarpe. It was a great all-rounder; really nice for both climbs and descents (including jumps and drop offs, etc).

tried one at ballinastoe couple of years ago, fantastic bike

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I don't think you'll do better than that Transition for €2,850 and I like that shop - good experiences so far.

For me (at least) the lines between Trail bike and Enduro bike are very blurry. I think bike manufacturers (& bike magazines) like having different types of bike so they always have a model to suit you but in practice it really doesn't mean too much. Possibly biggest difference might be travel up front - but I wouldn't get too bogged down with Trail v Enduro. If you're not racing, or doing mad stuff then 140mm up front is probably enough but 160mm is also fine, but slightly unnecessary.

steamsey wrote: »
    I don't think you'll do better than that Transition for €2,850 and I like that shop - good experiences so far.

For me (at least) the lines between Trail bike and Enduro bike are very blurry. I think bike manufacturers (& bike magazines) like having different types of bike so they always have a model to suit you but in practice it really doesn't mean too much. Possibly biggest difference might be travel up front - but I wouldn't get too bogged down with Trail v Enduro. If you're not racing, or doing mad stuff then 140mm up front is probably enough but 160mm is also fine, but slightly unnecessary.

ive 160/170 travel, its overkill, 140/150 is just fine. its very easy to get bogged down in specs when buying, i did, i think getting a go of bikes, preferably on trails is the best approach in decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated. I'll see about renting a Vitus and will also make sure to head along to that demo day. Will look at the other brands mentioned too!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

I've the Trek Fuel EX 29er, I bought it at the end of last year because it ticked a few boxes for me, 
    ready to go tubeless, 1X11, dropper post and would take 29 inch or 27+ wheels and tyres. Boost 148 spacing.  There was also a big discount on it as it was end of the year.  Vitus was definitely on the list but I wasn't able to demo one. Create a short list with the things that are important to you and try to demo as many as  you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There's a short travel Giant trance 29er out this year, will be an epic trail bike, the trance 27.5 is also very good I've done the enduros on a trance and its a decent all rounder should you decide to go off the normal trails, you do have to pay for them though so your probably looking at the 3k for a trance 2, I dont know what the 29er will retail at, but your going to have a solid crew backing you up in the shape of the shop on the naas rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd go for the trance 29 purely as its a 2019 bike for the same money as the smuggler.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/trance-29-2-2019

QueenMTBee wrote:
    Dublin2Bike are having a Trek demo day at Ticknock on 12 October - you could go along and try out a few bikes for free.

Apologies for derailing, is there other demo days on around the country soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Whyte t130, some of the best geometry you'll find on a trail bike. It won trail bike of the year 2 years running and the 2019 model has a number of improvements to make it even better. They are pretty good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Specialized have some demo bikes. I got a 29er Stumpjumper and love it. Had the 650 version previously.

Some bargains to be had on the buy and sell page on facebook at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The GAP are also taking deposits on selling off some of their 2018 Nukeproof Mega fleet if I recall. Awesome bikes; having rented one of the 2017 models, and subsequently buying a 2018 monster. More travel than you can (probably) shake a stick at, handles well, doesn't feel like a dog on climbs and looks like win.

Advertisement