Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you judge your partner on their previous number?

Options
  • 01-10-2018 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I was reading the thread about the number of partners a person has had and it reminded me of an episode of Sex and the City where Miranda and Steve were comparing numbers. Turned out Miranda had a lot more than Steve, which wouldn't be the perceived social norm.

I am a woman and haven't had that many partners (not giving the number so don't even ask :P). While I wouldn't judge a friend for sowing his/her wild oats, I have to say I would judge a potential partner on how many they've had if the number was really high. I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this but that's how I feel.

To be clear, this isn't woman shaming. This applies to men and women. If a guy had a really high number I would see it as him wanting to play the field and not wanting commitment. If a "player" wanted to be in a relationship with me, I would be wary. People can change but at what point do you put your trust in someone who has "previous form"?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have zero interest in asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Practice makes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If I'm looking for a ride...the last thing I want to know is how many jockeys have been on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It doesn’t tell anything about anyone imo

People could have been happy to sleep with many people in younger years, others weren’t and preferred to keep it to more serious partners

Doesn’t tell a thing if you ask me

Why broach the subject? Emphasis on 'previous', celebrate the present and leave such matters off the table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It doesn’t tell anything about anyone imo

People could have been happy to sleep with many people in younger years, others weren’t and preferred to keep it to more serious partners

Doesn’t tell a thing if you ask me
    That's my point. How would you know if you were just another fling or a serious partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why buy the Paddy Cow when you can have the milk for free.

Or if every other fecker is after getting the milk for nuttin' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

bluewolf wrote: »

Ask no questions and you will be told no lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Might be better to know the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It wouldnt bother me that much but if it was a really high number like close to triple digits or more then I would be afraid they are extremely sexual and want to cheat on me or lose interest in me or they might have an STD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Her count doesnt bother me much seeing as a football team only counts as one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not at all, she finally joined me on the 087's, I never ever judged her for having an 085 one for so long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The only time it was ever on my mind was when I had never experienced intimate relationships and I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't even care about how many people they had been with or how much. It was just on my mind that they had and I didn't know what to do because I hadn't.

Now it'll make no odds to me. I don't care how many other people someone was with before or after me. Ill just focus on enjoying their company however we end up doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Southwest Alaska

What else do you have zero interest asking, what previous jobs your partner had, if they have siblings, what food they like?

wakka12 wrote: »
    It wouldnt bother me that much but if it was a really high number like close to triple digits or more then I would be afraid they are extremely sexual and want to cheat on me or lose interest in me or they might have an STD

Or maybe someone with a small number is more likely to cheat as they have more to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

No interest in asking and had some dodgy years there so wouldntveven be able to guess at my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wouldn't really have bothered me. Maybe if they were a complete buckbag but I don't think I ever asked. I'd never have associated with the type anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Well I’m pretty sure you’d have a good idea it’s a serious partner if your boyfriend or girlfriend had many before you and now yer together quite a while.. years etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What else do you have zero interest asking, what previous jobs your partner had, if they have siblings, what food they like?

No you're right, i'm off to ask him for a detailed list of every meal he's ever eaten before he met me

No you're right, i'm off to ask him for a detailed list of every meal he's ever eaten before he ate me

Fixed that for ya Bluey :pac:

Soz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Are you seriously saying you have never judged a potential partner? That doesn't make any sense. If you are looking for a long term relationship and you meet someone who has many hook ups, would that not ring alarm bells?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying you have never judged a potential partner? That doesn't make any sense. If you are looking for a long term relationship and you meet someone who has many hook ups, would that not ring alarm bells?

How would i know how many hook ups they've had?

There is no guarantee that a potential partner who has has 2 previous partners is looking for something serious....they could be aiming for 100 and you are just a stepping stone.

A high number does not equate to a risky future relationship. Some people may see it that the potential partner had enough of messing around and wants to settle down.

You seem to want to quantify that high, or your definition of 'high', is to be a definitive warning sign and to avoid at all costs. Nonsense.

If your thinking was correct there would be a lot less couples in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

We all have our pasts and it would be naive to think your better half doesnt have some sort of sexual history.

I love and trust my better half too much to worry about who she may have slept with before she met me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I only judge on her number of previous convictions.

Ate you seriously saying you would ask someone you just started seeing for their 'number'?

No you're right, i'm off to ask him for a detailed list of every meal he's ever eaten before he met me

Or you could be normal and give him the gist of what food you like.

We all have our pasts and it would be naive to think your better half doesnt have some sort of sexual history.

I love and trust my better half too much to worry about who she may have slept with before she met me.

Talking about does not equal worrying. Talking about your favourite movies does not mean you are worried about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Im 086, were a protected species now

• Advertisement

I think people who are so adamantly against asking or knowing as if it's a sin have a problem just like a person who is obsessed with it has a problem. Both cases are as bad as each other.

Advertisement