Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I help?

Options
  • 01-10-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

My OH lost her mother a couple of months ago following a fairly lengthy illness. They were extremely close and the loss has hit her very very hard.

My OH would not be a great one for showing weakness at the best of times and I am concerned that she is bottling up a lot of upset.

She went back to work very quickly after the funeral even though I thought she needed moe time.

We have been living together since January and are together over 5 years.

So here is the issue I need help with:

Ever since she has suffered this loss, she has (understandably) become a little distant and increasingly short tempered. Little things that we would ahve joked about before (household things primarily) are now causing her great frustration and leading to cross words.

I have been in her position not too long ago and I know how difficult such a loss is and I am giving space, offering support and generally trying to keep life as normal as I can for her.

However, I am worried about her and I have suggested that she visit a GP or seek bereavement counselling. I am not pressurising her to do this straight away but just suggesting she consider it. However, up to this she has refused to do so.

I suppose I am just looking for some advice on what I should do next if anything?

Relationship is great and not looking for any "dump her" suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Just hang on in there you are doing great. She may not be up to counselling just yet but she knows you would support her through it. Not a lot else you can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Time takes time. Its only been a few months. Grief changes people forever.

It's her Mam. Just be patient. It will have to be endured unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

Time takes time. Its only been a few months. Grief changes people forever.

It's her Mam. Just be patient. It will have to be endured unfortunately.

I agree 100% having been there.

No issues with patience at all. Just want to make sure I am the best support I can be for her. I know there are no easy fixes.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Keep doing what you're doing.
    heretochat wrote: »

Relationship is great and not looking for any "dump her" suggestions.

Thanks

Don't think anyone is that heartless that they'd suggest dumping her.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You sound like you're doing all you can OP by just being there for her and understanding why she may be short-tempered etc. You sound very caring and considerate - I imagine that's all she needs right now while she adjusts to life without her mother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement