Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For your parents maybe: Free Tesco.ie delivery for over 65s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's a good idea, however the €50 minimum spend may not be viable, especially for those living in their own... But potentially very good for many nonetheless... Thks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Might be handy for your parents, relations, neighbours who are over 65 as winter comes in. [/url]

and maybe some boardsies as well :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

wait4me wrote: »
    and maybe some boardsies as well :D:D;)

I was just thinking there's good to be some strange purchased made on mammies and daddies credit card!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's a good idea, however the €50 minimum spend may not be viable, especially for those living in their own
    Just like when they were taking competitor vouchers you can stock up on expensive stuff with long shelf lifes. I used to have to stick to dense items so I could fit them in my bag, as I am usually not driving. So with vouchers I would get spirits or toiletries. If stuff is being delivered its a different ball game, you can get bulky stuff like toilet roll or beer.

Even if you do not drink them, spirits are a handy standby as a present, doesn't go off and takes up little space. Teachers & jim beam white are both 20euro for 700ml at the moment.

Vodkas on offer too, absolut, russian standard, stoli & wyborowa all 20 for 700ml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Will you have to present ID at the door to avail I wonder :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

There is a requirement to Ring for to set this up, hopefully it is a once off phone call, then upon delivery on th efirst delivery only, ID must be shown.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

there does seem to be a certain begrudging welcome to the ts&cs on this offer. im making that observation on not just the comments on this thread.

Its a good idea,its a welcome move by tesco.

But surely no one expects tesco to make a loss on delivering to vulnerable people ? i mean they have worked out the breakeven point at €50 which is reasonable. even if you only get a shop every 2 weeks, you could take advantage. they cant pop around with a liter of milk everyday. Its not commercially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drics

Hey! Some people over 65 don't need to be taught anything! As for free delivery to over 65s - don't make me laugh! The very people who need it most - pensioners, like me, living on their own in rural isolation, find themselves "outside the catchment area" of their nearest Tesco store...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

drics wrote:
    Hey! Some people over 65 don't need to be taught anything! As for free delivery to over 65s - don't make me laugh! The very people who need it most - pensioners, like me, living on their own in rural isolation, find themselves "outside the catchment area" of their nearest Tesco store...

Is that Tesco's fault that you live so far away? They are hardly going to drive 60 miles for a free delivery. You have to be realistic with your expectations.

Of course it's Tesco's fault! But maybe if I ordered the low hanging fruit...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

drics wrote:

I know I could read the t and c, but what is the catchment area?

august12 wrote:
    I know I could read the t and c, but what is the catchment area?

It's the area around the store where they'll deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's the area around the store where they'll deliver.
    Sorry, I mean what do they consider the catchment, is it 5 or 10 or 15 miles

Here's why it's Tesco's fault...
    Why did Tesco make a corporate decision to provide a loss-making home delivery service for (some) pensioners? Well, because it makes the look soft and fuzzy and caring. And all the under 65s can imagine, when they shop in Tesco, that they are soft and fuzzy and caring too. But in fact what is on offer is a discriminatory service that excludes those most in need. Because they live too far away.

If this was a genuine caring initiative, it would be available to all over 65s. Obviously it has costs, but Tesco have chosen to exclude those who need it most. So how could those costs be covered, if this is really worthwhile? If Tesco were to say to its under 65 customers, "we are going to add one euro per month to our home delivery plans, to cover the cost of universal over 65 delivery", what do you think the customer response would be?

drics wrote:
    If this was a genuine caring initiative, it would be available to all over 65s. Obviously it has costs, but Tesco have chosen to exclude those who need it most. So how could those costs be covered, if this is really worthwhile? If Tesco were to say to its under 65 customers, "we are going to add one euro per month to our home delivery plans, to cover the cost of universal over 65 delivery", what do you think the customer response would be?

Why are you here? Did you open an account just to bash here?

It's a business. They are here to make money. It's a PR exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Get Real

drics wrote: »
    Why did Tesco make a corporate decision to provide a loss-making home delivery service for (some) pensioners? Well, because it makes the look soft and fuzzy and caring. And all the under 65s can imagine, when they shop in Tesco, that they are soft and fuzzy and caring too. But in fact what is on offer is a discriminatory service that excludes those most in need. Because they live too far away.

They're a commercial business. They came up with the idea to drop the delivery fee for over 65s, which they didn't have to do.

They're not claiming to be saints, nor are they claiming to be some charity that delivers to anyone over 65, regardless of your location.

Before this free delivery came in, those in rural areas/ many many km from a Tesco, didn't order from them in the first place.

There is an issue in this country with the elderly and being alone in remote rural areas, but that's a government issue. Tesco didn't have anything to do with it when they charged for deliveries a year ago, and they don't have anything to do with it now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

drics wrote: »

Tesco's home delivery service only operates in certain catchment areas, basically homes within a few miles of certain stores (but not all stores). This applies equally to free elderly customers or too full paying customers. If you aren't in the catchment area, you can't get service, even if you pay the maximum €8 per delivery.

Elderly people left isolated in rural Ireland, no longer able to drive, etc. is the very dark side of our very poor planning regulations. We left people build one off houses all over rural Ireland, far away from towns and villages.

These sort of places are simply too expensive to deliver services too, not enough density and private companies simply aren't willing to deliver services there whether it is broadband, shopping delivery, etc. and too expensive for government to subsidise.

BTW On a personal note, perhaps you should consider consider selling your home and moving to a smaller place in a nearly town or village. You won't be as isolated and may end up with a better quality of life. I live in an apartment, an elderly neighbour did exactly that, sold his home and moved into an apartment in my building, says it is the best decision he ever made. He now has access to public transport and can walk to shops, pubs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Forget the free part for a minute, Can you get a delivery from Tesco at all ?
    I can't see them cover an area they don't already from a business point they already ruled it out as not viable option atm
    Now if they did offer a paid service in your area you have a point else its just same as living outside the catchment area like alot business takeaways are a great example of this even some charge by the mileage

**Edit**
    Sorry BK cross posted with yours

Advertisement