Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator recommendations

Options
  • 01-10-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Howdy All,

I am not sure if this the best place to post this, But I am just wondering what type of generator would I need to power a few sockets and a water pump in my house?

I live in an area that is prone to electricity dropping when the bad weather hits, if it is gone for long period of time then we have no access to water as our water pump runs off the electricity

just wondering what type of generator would be good to get us through a few days of no electricity

Cheers,

Comments

460895.jpg

Inverter
    True sine for induction motors.

+ 24V battery; 4 x 6v golf cart battery with hydrcaps

TrojanBatteries.jpg

+ 600Wp solar: 3 x parallel 60Cell monocrystalline solar panels

3-New-Solar-Panels-on-South-Facing-Side-of-Authors-Roof.jpg

MorningStar ProStar 30M PWM

ProStarGen3DropShadow.png

Clean power even when there isn't a power cut. :)

2.5kWh reserve
    1.8kWh > 3.5kWh per day gain Spring through Autumn

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Honda’s have a good reputation. Something like this should meet your needs:

https://www.iedepot.ie/honda-petrol-engine-generator/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stephill-SE3000D-Diesel-Silenced-Generator-2-1kW-2-6Kva-110V-240V/183461194734?hash=item2ab723abee:g:7BUAAOSwtLxbiVNU

Youll need a change over switch fitted by an electrician, and inspected by ESB Networks first.

2011 wrote: »
    The Honda’s have a good reputation. Something like this should meet your needs:

https://www.iedepot.ie/honda-petrol-engine-generator/

Second that. ^

But I'd get solar first then use the Honda to run the bigger stuff while recharging the battery at the same time. Also for Winter mains redundancy.

I'd get all of the above, both; lower petrol upkeep, & have solar supplied water pumping and a with parallel free 230V lecky system.

This lowers the gen. set runtime and while running it runs cleaner and more efficiently with the battery charger base load.

Gensets work best at 80% rated load.

Hondas are pretty reliable so are Lister Petter.

Solar panels work 30 years, Morningstar Controllers are rugged...10 years, easy...inverters you get what you pay for 5 - 10years. I heart second-hand Studers.

Much of a muchness on price for either.
    I like leaving the lights on all day for free.cool.png

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

depending on where you live you might have a well pump for fresh water and you're more than likely going to have a boiler for heating the house - they'll have to be used or the house can't be lived in if the power is off more than a day so size your generator to supply them, the fridge&freezer, the lights, a few sockets for charging electrical devices and maybe the TV etc for entertainment.

That generator above will handle that with care but it won't be able to supply kettles or electric showers. Combinations of any other heating devices could overload it as well - think hair dryers, hair straighteners, electric fan/oil heaters. Basically anything that is used to create heat needs a lot of electricity.

Add up all the KW rating of the devices you think you'll need to power in a blackout and calculate in a 10-20% extra. And like Kekarsulum says you need ot get a change over switch fitted as well.

Good luck with the hunt

Advertisement