Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter - this doesn't feel right

Options
  • 01-10-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Okay so, I have a personal account on Twitter. This is my second actually. The first was suspended completely out of the blue and the only way to get it back was to give my personal phone number. No other options, email, contact detail anything. Your phone number or stay out.

I stayed out.

I did create another account a while back and the same thing just happened. This time they got my number and was immediately reinstated but I don't like this and don't really trust it.

Sure, if it was boards, creating a second handle after being suspended would be deeply dodgy. But this does not appear to be related. Also, there does not appear to be a review process or even any indication that my account did anything dubious or was reported. I am J Random Twitter user (not my handle, just there is nothing of interest to my account).

Note: while the twitter rules are surprisingly extensive, I did not appear to have broken any - not liking the US president is not yet a bannable offence and would probably clear out a *lot* of Twitter accounts!

It honestly feels like a somewhat random phishing expedition for legit phone numbers/personal data. I know a lot of people have been caught by wide-net bans (mostly temp, but including verified small business users) but has anyone had personal experience of the above?

It may seem very minor but I am wary of personal info on the internet and dislike the feel of the whole incident.

Advertisement