Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 46" tv wont turn on,is it a capacitor issue?

Options
  • 01-10-2018 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey. Just looking for advice on a 46" Samsung LCD tv - which has decided to not turn on all of a sudden..
    It's model. UE46F6400AK

When I plug it in and press power on- on the remote, it gets as far as "smart" flashing up on the screen, 1 click sound, then its turns off,1 click again and smart flashes up again..While this is happening red light at the corner mostly stays on and flashes once or twise etc every 6 seconds...

.this cycle repeats over and over..."smart" flashes up about every 6 seconds over and over again...until I plug it out. And it still clicks a few times after its plugged out...

Could this be a capacitor fault?

Looking this up online, a capacitor issue has occured in the past with Samsung's and some tv's in Ireland were fixed free outside of warranty as far as I know a few years ago...
    there was a lawsuit years ago in USA
    regarding smaller capacitors than ideal being used by samsung.
    It was bought new in Dec 2013. So its nearly 5years old..I know warranty has expired..

Is there anything under consumer law regarding inferior unreliable parts/known issue that says they have to fix it as it's less than 5/6 years old etc....I thought I read something about that before?..

Are Samsung under any liability to Fix it for free anymore?.I'll ring them and query the issue and see what they say..
    I would be grateful for any advice or experiences you've had with this issue.
    Thanks in advance

I posted this elsewhere also but I think it's better posted here...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

brooklands wrote: »
    Are Samsung under any liability to Fix it for free anymore?.I'll ring them and query the issue and see what they say..

You have no contractual relationship with Samsung unless you bought it off them directly, your first recourse is where you purchased it and see how you get on from there.

You have staturory protection but 5 years is edging towards the end of that IMHO.

By all means try Samsung but your only relationship is with the retailer, not the manufacturer...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I replaced some capacitors in my Dad's tv when it was acting up. It's fine now. Just need a bit of solder.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brooklands

Yes,made 2 calls to Samsung uk service centre but I wasn't getting anywhere...they was sold with a years warranty, Samsung said that as a jesture of good will they may do a one of -courtesy fix on a tv in its 2nd year but this is on a case by case basis etc......they gave me the incorrect contact name and number for 2 Samsung service companies in dublin( that are both closed down years apparently).....
    I've dropped it into bavs in rathcoole( current Samsung service dealer )...they will check it and diagnose the issue for free and I'll see where to go from there....they think it's probably the main board....

I bought from power city. I did go into them but they said its outside warranty and they can't help....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

brooklands wrote: »
    I bought from power city. I did go into them but they said its outside warranty and they can't help....

BS, warranty is just a meaningless word, you have statutory rights and PC are notorious for saying they can't help until the Sales of Good Act and Small Claims Court are mentioned....but as I mentioned earlier, this TV is aged so any claim would be reflective of "depreciation" through use

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement