Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 46" tv wont turn on,is it a capacitor issue?

Options
  • 01-10-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey. Just looking for advice on a 46" Samsung LCD tv - which has decided to not turn on all of a sudden..
    It's model. UE46F6400AK

When I plug it in and press power on- on the remote, it gets as far as "smart" flashing up on the screen, 1 click sound, then its turns off,1 click again and smart flashes up again..While this is happening red light at the corner mostly stays on and flashes once or twise etc every 6 seconds...

.this cycle repeats over and over..."smart" flashes up about every 6 seconds over and over again...until I plug it out. And it still clicks a few times after its plugged out...

Could this be a capacitor fault?

Looking this up online, a capacitor issue has occured in the past with Samsung's and some tv's in Ireland were fixed free outside of warranty as far as I know a few years ago...
    there was a lawsuit years ago in USA
    regarding smaller capacitors than ideal being used by samsung.
    It was bought new in Dec 2013. So its nearly 5years old..I know warranty has expired..

Is there anything under consumer law regarding inferior unreliable parts/known issue that says they have to fix it as it's less than 5/6 years old etc....I thought I read something about that before?..

Are Samsung under any liability to Fix it for free anymore?.I'll ring them and query the issue and see what they say..
    I would be grateful for any advice or experiences you've had with this issue.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

brooklands wrote: »
    Hey. Just looking for advice on a 46" Samsung LCD tv - which has decided to not turn on all of a sudden..
    It's model. UE46F6400AK

When I plug it in and press power on- on the remote, it gets as far as "smart" flashing up on the screen, 1 click sound, then its turns off,1 click again and smart flashes up again..While this is happening red light at the corner mostly stays on and flashes once or twise etc every 6 seconds...

.this cycle repeats over and over..."smart" flashes up about every 6 seconds over and over again...until I plug it out. And it still clicks a few times after its plugged out...

Could this be a capacitor fault?

Looking this up online, a capacitor issue has occured in the past with Samsung's and some tv's in Ireland were fixed free outside of warranty as far as I know a few years ago...
    there was a lawsuit years ago in USA
    regarding smaller capacitors than ideal being used by samsung.
    It was bought new in Dec 2013. So its nearly 5years old..I know warranty has expired..

Is there anything under consumer law regarding inferior unreliable parts/known issue that says they have to fix it as it's less than 5/6 years old etc....I thought I read something about that before?..

Are Samsung under any liability to Fix it for free anymore?.I'll ring them and query the issue and see what they say..
    I would be grateful for any advice or experiences you've had with this issue.
    Thanks in advance

Almost 5yrs old. No recourse at this stage I'd say. Look on the bright side, it's a great time to upgrade to a 55". I'm sure the thought crossed your mind and you've had the tape measure out at some point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dodzy wrote:
    Almost 5yrs old. No recourse at this stage I'd say. Look on the bright side, it's a great time to upgrade to a 55". I'm sure the thought crossed your mind and you've had the tape measure out at some point

I had to Google Samsung TV warranty when I read your post. 12 months warranty according to the website. I have a Sony & it came with 5 year warranty. I thought this was standard. Obviously not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭hesker

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I had to Google Samsung TV warranty when I read your post. 12 months warranty according to the website. I have a Sony & it came with 5 year warranty. I thought this was standard. Obviously not

I’d be fairly miffed if my tv packed in after 5 years. Regardless of warranty there is also the principle of what would be regarded as a reasonable expectation of lifetime. But that involves the legal route. Or maybe small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Try using the buttons of side on tv, as tv is on standby press the + channel button on the back,keep it pressed until screen appears, if no..power off with side switch off tv,power on whilst pressing the + channel button and keep pressed untill screen appears.. could take 15-20 seconds if it works...

Last resort is unplug from wall for 10 mins and repeat above. Mine went and the only way it turns on now is via the + channel button on rear.. no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

Had the same issue with a 6 yr old Samsung just last month. Apparently there is an internal power supply that needs to be replaced. Got it done for €150 in Galway, TV is fine again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brooklands

I guess if I had bought 1 of the cheaper brands and it broke after 3 or 4 years, I might think that was ok....but given it was a Samsung, I suppose I would like to think that it would last longer than the 58 months I got?( being greedy possibly I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I purchased a Samsung smart TV, model UE46ES6710 back in 2012. What your describing sounds almost identical to the problem i had in March. I took it to a repair company called BAVS. They are located in Rathcoole. They give a free assessment and are an authorised Samsung service centre. Anyhews, the problem with mine was the main board was faulty, and needed to be replaced. I was quoted 200e for the repair. 150e for the part and 50e for the labour. I ended up paying for the repair and its working with no issues.

I saw some of the Sony's have 5 years warranty lately alright..I'm hoping that Samsung will be nice and as a jesture of good faith, will examine and repair -if it's capacitors. ...I would hope Samsung will/might play ball and that legal/ small claims Wouldnt be needed...I would consider it a great result for samsung to repair my old current Tv as is.....

Thanks mark for the suggestion but I'm afraid it made no difference to my tv. All it wants to do is constantly repeat the boot up cycle until I remove the plug from the wall....

if no other options arise ,I will have to look at getting it repaired by some place in Dublin or buy capacitors and have a go myself?!....I haven't opened it and I can't confirm its capacitors but if it is, it should be fixable..

.thanks for letting me know how much you paid to fix the issue- they didn't mention any more details than that did they?....

cheers for all the help and suggestions..

.I've been in contact with Samsung service in uk and they raised a ticket number and they gave me 2 service repair centres in Dublin..ill go to one tomorrow and I'll let Ye know how I get on with them...here's hoping!

Thanks kerplun k, Amm right, free assessment is great. And great to know there's a place so close in rathcoole. So hopefully it sounds like it can be saved!thanks for the info..

Yes,made 2 calls to Samsung uk service centre but I wasn't getting anywhere...they was sold with a years warranty, Samsung said that as a jesture of good will they may do a one of -courtesy fix on a tv in its 2nd year but this is on a case by case basis etc......they gave me the incorrect contact name and number for 2 Samsung service companies in dublin( that are both closed down years apparently).....
    I've dropped it into bavs in rathcoole( current Samsung service dealer )( as kerplun k mentioned above)...they will diagnose the issue and I'll see where to go from there....they think it's probably the main board -as advised by kerplun k also!!.

I bought from power city. I did go into them but they said its outside warranty and they can't help.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

brooklands wrote: »
    Yes,made 2 calls to Samsung uk service centre but I wasn't getting anywhere...they was sold with a years warranty, Samsung said that as a jesture of good will they may do a one of -courtesy fix on a tv in its 2nd year but this is on a case by case basis etc......they gave me the incorrect contact name and number for 2 Samsung service companies in dublin( that are both closed down years apparently).....
    I've dropped it into bavs in rathcoole( current Samsung service dealer )( as kerplun k mentioned above)...they will diagnose the issue and I'll see where to go from there....they think it's probably the main board -as advised by kerplun k also!!.

I bought from power city. I did go into them but they said its outside warranty and they can't help.......
    As I said before, you were never going to get any joy with warranty or goodwill on a 5yr old tv. See what they come back with for board replacement. Personally, if it was anything north of 200, I’d suck it up, bin it, and get a replacement from richersounds with their standard 5yr warranty. 500 quid should see a decent upgrade on your current set.

Well I hoped it wasn't anymore than the mainboard which at 160 e ish- it was worth that to fix I thought....but the lights in the screen were gone and as The tv is bigger than 40" Samsung won't sell just the parts needed..a full new screen would have to be bought to repair this.....not sure what else was wrong but it would have cost 530 e to get this working again....so they dumped it for me...
    So yeah I need to look into what to buy.(46 - 50 or even 55" if it was worth it)
    ....def the 6? Year warranty from richersounds sounds brilliant after a Samsung not lasting 5....now all I have to figure out is which manufacturer I should purchase from.....bit worried about Samsung now....
    Samsung/ Sony/lg. any other brands in the top quality league?....
    What 1 brand should I look at?

Advertisement