Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ioniq settings resetting randomly

Options
  • 01-10-2018 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

It seems that EV settings for my Ioniq are randomly reset, and usually it is only one or two of settings like charging power or charging time or drive mode settings. Has anyone else encountered such problem? Sometimes it is just annoying, but on many other times it means that car would not charge overnight. Is there something that could be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, known issue, fixed by an update to the latest software. I can confirm it works just dandy now since I got the upgrade. Talk to your dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Thanks, I will try to get software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

Dealer should update this for you for free under warranty. Mine was done back in March / April and the fault has not returned since.

I went to a dealer they took car and said there are no updates or recalls. I see following versions:
    software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.003.17.161212
    firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.139.161118.MICOM

Do you have a newer ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly I recommend you don't use charge timers until your issues are sorted.

I believe the 17 in software is for 2017 and the 16 in firmware is for 2016. There should be a 2017 of firmware available.

See here:
    https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/570-software-firmware-updates/23929-updating-firmware-your-ioniq-ev-home.html#/topics/23929

I would not recommend having a go yourself, as you could invalidate warranty and have an undriveable car.

The latest software may not be available to the dealer for your specific car, as the specific month it was built for example has not been tested and approved and flagged as approved. Dealers can sometimes get patches or early updates from HQ depending on how much you complain. I use the night timer in my Zappi charger instead, but if it causing issues get back on to dealer or try multiple dealers. Mention to dealer this is a known issue and latest software is the fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Don’t know where the OP is based, but I got mine done by Lyng’s in Kilkenny.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Firstly I recommend you don't use charge timers until your issues are sorted.

Timer is not largest problem, for some reason if I try to charge at maximum speed it would trip the fuse so I need to charge on lower setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭denismc

September1 wrote: »
    Timer is not largest problem, for some reason if I try to charge at maximum speed it would trip the fuse so I need to charge on lower setting.

That's a bit of a worry, what rating is the RCB for the charger? If it is tripping under maximum load you may want to get your electrician to check your installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

denismc wrote: »
    That's a bit of a worry, what rating is the RCB for the charger? If it is tripping under maximum load you may want to get your electrician to check your installation.

+1

I'd be much more worried about that problem than your timer reset issue. Get your electrician to look at that.

You need a 40A RCBO for your EV charger. Check in your consumer unit what it says, or take a picture and post it here.

What make / model charger is it and who installed it?

• Advertisement

It looks like that https://selfficiency.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_20120419_074243.jpg and was provided by ESB and I think manufactured by Rolec if branding is to be believed. I think this is 3.6kW only, so I do not expect it to support charging Ioniq at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭zg3409

It should not trip the supply. Something is wrong. The car communicates with the charger and asks how much lower can it supply, and then the car limits the power to that . If the fuse trips it means that too much power is being drawn and it is trying to prevent the wires catching fire. Something is wrong and needs to be checked by electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    It should not trip the supply. Something is wrong. The car communicates with the charger and asks how much lower can it supply, and then the car limits the power to that . If the fuse trips it means that too much power is being drawn and it is trying to prevent the wires catching fire. Something is wrong and needs to be checked by electrician.
    That happens with a number of cheaper installations.
    The charger at the "Westport Plaza Hotel" is one of them. It would trip when I plugged my 32a leaf into it, and if I plug the Ioniq in it trips unless I select "minimum" charging speed.

I suspect the OP has a badly fused 32a unit which is not sufficiently fused for 32a but works at 16a

The fuse is AFAIR 20A - but that should be fine for 3.6kW charger.

The fuse is AFAIR 20A - but that should be fine for 3.6kW charger.

Can you post a pic of it?

Maybe it has the wrong curve rating... B, C etc.

When it trips does it trip immediately or during a random part of the charge session?

If it trips immediately its likely that the RCBO has the wrong curve as its not handling the inrush of current when the charge session starts.

So, its not enough to just see that it has 20A.... the curve is also important.

Here is pic of fuse and EVSE.

It never caused problem with other cars, so I'm not sure if Ioniq is honoring restrictions in power. The fact that they have such setting suggest that this might be a case.

Here is pic of fuse and EVSE.

It never caused problem with other cars, so I'm not sure if Ioniq is honoring restrictions in power. The fact that they have such setting suggest that this might be a case.

Its a C-curve, so its not the RCBO.

Does it trip immediately once the charge session starts?
    And I assume its the Garo switch trips, not some switch inside the EVSE?

It usually happened at night so I'm not sure when it trips, I will check it over weekend to see what happens. I think it does happen sometime into the session, because I would see car partially charge in the morning.

This is the fuse that trips, nothing else needs to be reset.

It usually happened at night so I'm not sure when it trips, I will check it over weekend to see what happens. I think it does happen sometime into the session, because I would see car partially charge in the morning.

This is the fuse that trips, nothing else needs to be reset.

I dont know so. You might be right that the Ioniq is not honouring the correct current and since you appear to be running a version of the firmware that is known to have other issues around charging it might be that.

Any joy on getting the firmware updated?
    If you could get that done and then retest and if it still happens it would be time to call in the electrician then. The EVSE might be faulty.

All you can do is rule things out one at a time.

The firmware has probably nothing to do with the issue, but you need to get it updated anyway (it's a very annoying bug), and it's free. So you might as well get on with that first, just in case it sorts it.

Next step, get an electrician in.

• Advertisement

I did some experiments and it seems that fuse trips with following pattern:
    - on maximum level the fuse trips in less than an hour
    - on reduced it seems quite random, it may not trip at all
    - on minimal it never trips

I also went to public station to see if Ioniq honors EVSE power restrictions, and I think it does as at maximum level charging time is less than at home.

I borrowed thermal camera and it seems that it may be temperature that causes it to act.

Where do you see it getting hot?
    The EVSE, the RCBO, the cable feeding it etc?

Its possible the cable feeding it is incorrectly rated.

KCross wrote: »
    Where do you see it getting hot?
    The EVSE, the RCBO, the cable feeding it etc?

Its possible the cable feeding it is incorrectly rated.

The RCBO seems to be getting hot and shortly after going into around 50C it would turn off.

Advertisement