Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexpensive Printer & Inks

Options
  • 30-09-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a new inexpensive printer/copier, but more importantly I want one that will allow me to use inexpensive spurious inks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

I've a Canon SX235W that I got years ago for €50 that's still going strong. Only issue was a clogged print head but that was easy enough to sort.

I used to have refillable cartridges but they weren't worth the hassle for the amount I print. Now I just buy cheap cartridges off ebay (last time I ordered they were about €6 for the 4 cartridges delivered)

If you're going to be print loads you could get a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) add-on kit on eBay (won't work on my printer but there's plenty of models that wil)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Unfortunately refills and spurious cartridges may be a thing of the past.
    Print companies (Canon, Epson, HP etc.) sell printers at a very discounted price and make their profits on ink cartridges.
    Most (if not all) modern printers use "smart" cartridges - they have a chip on the cartridge which "guesses" when the ink cartridge is empty and will not allow any more pages to be printed (even if you refill the cartridge the chip tells the printer there is no ink).

There are shops/sites that supply re-manufactured cartridges or refilled cartridges with new or reset chips, but in my experience this is hit and miss - some work, many don't.
    I'm currently using a Canon Pixma and now only use genuine cartridges (from discounted sites when I can get them). I hear you people have better success with spurious/refilled cartridges on Epson, but I can't comment.
    Printer Ink Subscriptions: Where you pay a monthly fee and get supplied with replacement ink cartridges on a regular basis, might be an option but I'm not sure if available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Epson ECO Tank looks good

Advertisement