Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elon Musk steps down

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

And the weather op.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

He's no longer chairman but he remains as CEO. Can anyone who knows how these corporate structures work explain what impact that has on his influence within the company, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

He's no longer chairman but he remains as CEO. Can anyone who knows how these corporate structures work explain what impact that has on his influence within the company, etc?

CEO is operational. Calls the shots.

Chairman chairs the board but doesn’t work day to day in the company. They hold the CEO to task as representative of the share holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Turns out global supply chain and asset management are difficult things to get right.

Never got the hype around the lad to be honest. Big ideas and implementation are very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

He's taking the time off to recharge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

His brother will step in and do the role for three years.

Boring.com and spacex are ramping up. He’ll keep busy with them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The $20 million fine won't do anything to change him either i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

He's been slowly going off the deep end for a while now. A break from social media would do no harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Sounds like when Putin swaps from President to Prime Minister and back again. All optics, and nothing changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I feel sorry for him, hopefully things get back on track in his life. The world needs people who push ideas, they've done great work with SpaceX in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

The Board decide the strategy of the company, and the CEO executes their decision.
    And, the Board decide who the CEO is. Obviously Musk would always have been voting for himself as CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Still don't know what to make of this chap, but he sure knows how to push boundaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

CEO is the main operations guy. He’s not really stepping down from day to day operations.

In companies where the chairman is the CEO though there’s very little shareholder control of the CEO.

But he’s still running the place.

For instance chairman of Apple is a guy called Arthur D. Levinson. In theory Cook reports to him, in practice Cook is the real power.

The Board decide the strategy of the company, and the CEO executes their decision.
    And, the Board decide who the CEO is. Obviously Musk would always have been voting for himself as CEO.

Not really. The CEO reports the strategy decided by the executives to the board who tend to rubber stamp it. Directorship on a board is part time work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Stepping down makes it sound like it's a voluntary move, somehow I doubt that's the case.
    Although I suspect he's probably happy enough to take the deal, he's getting off pretty lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Fascinating character but he seems to have no filter. It is good to have someone with these ideas and trying to do things differently and I like to keep track of what he's up to, even though I don't really know if I like him or not.

The share price thing was dodgy, though, and his public persona was always going to rub people the wrong way. I'm not surprised he's being forced out but he made the noose himself.

To me, he’d have been stepping down if he became chairman only, a part time position. However this does in theory increase shareholder power.

Turns out global supply chain and asset management are difficult things to get right.

Never got the hype around the lad to be honest. Big ideas and implementation are very different things.

You don't get the hype around a man who sent his electric car into space in one of his rockets?

I mean, jesus, yeah he's lost the plot recently, but to say he can't implement stuff is a bit mad. Reusable rockets and popularising electric cars is no easy feat.

You don't get the hype around a man who sent his electric car into space in one of his rockets?

I mean, jesus, yeah he's lost the plot recently, but to say he can't implement stuff is a bit mad. Reusable rockets and popularising electric cars is no easy feat.

Rockets - done. We sent men to our moon in one for example. The reusable aspect was great engineering in fairness.

Electric cars - done. Nissan for example.

Sorry, just not getting the hype about the guy. Even listened to that podcast he did recently. Seemed like a bit of a moron to be honest, and not some visionary. I’d find Bill Gates to be far more interesting and inspiring for example.

Rockets - done. We sent men to our moon in one for example. The reusable aspect was great engineering in fairness.

Sorry, just not getting the hype about the guy. Even listened to that podcast he did recently. Seemed like a bit of a moron to be honest, and not some visionary. I’d find Bill Gates to be far more interesting and inspiring for example.

We've had electric cars since the 1800s. He made them cool and actually practical.
    To say rockets are done is kinda comical. Re-usability is an incredible advancement and everyone in the industry has lauded their successes.

Musk got $165m from his time in Paypal. This thread has lots of people saying what they would do with 10million euros less. Meanwhile, Musk is sleeping in his car factory and having a mental breakdown trying to get it to fall into place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Yah, rockets are done.
    Sure cars were done 100 years ago. Why bother improving them?
    Houses were done 5000 years ago. Should we have stopped improving them too?

I wouldn't be calling anyone a moron if I was you :rolleyes:

Yah, rockets are done.
    Sure cars were done 100 years ago. Why bother improving them?
    Houses were done 5000 years ago. Should we have stopped improving them too?

I wouldn't be calling anyone a moron if I was you :rolleyes:

Musk seems to be one of those guys who his fans get hugely defensive about. He’s a capitalist dude trying to make a shedload of money from selling electric cars. Not the messiah. And he was shambolic on that podcast. That Rogan guy is a moron as well, so there were a pair of them in it. He said absolutely nothing that was in any ways new, insightful, or challenging.

Nah, the guy is nothing special. Ideas man, but that doesn’t get the hay baled as they say.

Musk seems to be one of those guys who his fans get hugely defensive about. He’s a capitalist dude trying to make a shedload of money from selling electric cars. Not the messiah. And he was shambolic on that podcast. That Rogan guy is a moron as well, so there were a pair of them in it. He said absolutely nothing that was in any ways new, insightful, or challenging.

Nah, the guy is nothing special. Ideas man, but that doesn’t get the hay baled as they say.

It's so much that people get defensive. It's just comical seeing people call a self-made billionaire and one of the greatest entrepreneurs of our generation a moron.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

His mini submarine rescue idea was genius. Well actually it was crap but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

Sure Johnny... Elon ($19.7 billion) is a moron, Joe Rogan($25million) too.

I'm sure you're a man of considerable wealth, talent, business accumen and intelligence and well qualified to make that call.

By the way, how did that plan to botox your balls go? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

His mini submarine rescue idea was genius. Well actually it was crap but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

I'm struggling to see your point.

Sure Johnny... Elon ($19.7 billion) is a moron, Joe Rogan($25million) too.

I'm sure you're a man of considerable wealth, talent, business accumen and intelligence and well qualified to make that call.

Calm down, pal. Only expressing my point that Musk came across in that podcast as a socially awkward moron expressing banalities about AI and the future of humanity. Rogan was pretty much tickling his prostate for the entire podcast. It was shambolic. Rather like Tesla at the moment.

Is he really worth 19.7 billion? Any link to that? Curious like.

Calm down, pal. Only expressing my point that Musk came across in that podcast as a socially awkward moron expressing banalities about AI and the future of humanity. Rogan was pretty much tickling his prostate for the entire podcast. It was shambolic. Rather like Tesla at the moment.

Is he really worth 19.7 billion? Any link to that? Curious like.

Forbes track net worth: https://www.forbes.com/profile/elon-musk/#2d2ca6d7999b

Tesla's third quarter report is out this week, so whether they're actually shambolic remains to be seen.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Kind of guy who strives each day to be a bigger, greater assh0le

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wait what? :D:D:D

Advertisement