Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation of Bathroom extractors

Options
  • 29-09-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was looking to automate and replace the extractors in my bahtrooms

I was wondering has anyone done similar.
    Maybe a aeon temp humidity sensor and a zwave relay or some way of turning on the fan would work.
    Was trying to run it through home assistant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

john_doe. wrote: »
    Hi

I was looking to automate and replace the extractors in my bahtrooms

I was wondering has anyone done similar.
    Maybe a aeon temp humidity sensor and a zwave relay or some way of turning on the fan would work.
    Was trying to run it through home assistant.

Was thinking about this too, but is it not simpler just to get a standard humidity sensing extractor, I don't think I can see a benefit of anything more complex ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is zero need for Google integration. Infact it's making it less automated by adding complexity.

That is plausible to disrupt the original action with levels of complexity.

Humidity sensors do the job on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

listermint wrote: »
    There is zero need for Google integration. Infact it's making it less automated by adding complexity.

That is plausible to disrupt the original action with levels of complexity.

Humidity sensors do the job on their own.

Google integration?
    Most of the integrated fans with humidistat are bit rubbish.

An indpependent Aeon sensor that measures temperature , motion, humidity could be used to switch on a night light based off motion , activate the fan etc or later for heating in the bathroom, while also using a good reliable extractor fan without humidistat.

Would it not be better getting control over the fan by automation of it than relying on a humidistat which depending on the model could misfire in middle of night. Reviews of those type of fans are full of complaints of fans coming on by themselves and problems setting them, loosing seetings after power loss etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

john_doe. wrote: »
    Google integration?
    Most of the integrated fans with humidistat are bit rubbish.

An indpependent Aeon sensor that measures temperature , motion, humidity could be used to switch on a night light based off motion , activate the fan etc or later for heating in the bathroom, while also using a good reliable extractor fan without humidistat.

Would it not be better getting control over the fan by automation of it than relying on a humidistat which depending on the model could misfire in middle of night. Reviews of those type of fans are full of complaints of fans coming on by themselves and problems setting them, loosing seetings after power loss etc..

You said home assistant I presume you mean Google.

No it would not stick with simple sensor and no they aren't rubbish.

But sure if you want to go about it another way knock yourself out.

listermint wrote: »
    You said home assistant I presume you mean Google.

No it would not stick with simple sensor and no they aren't rubbish.

But sure if you want to go about it another way knock yourself out.

I would simply have it in home assistant for overview of whether it was on/off and maybe as a Killswitch.

The Aeon would measure humidity and fire the fan on and off as required. Issue with this I suspect would be reporting times and battery drain . Intervals times of 15 mins would be too long , other times seem to drain the battery.

I'd love to fit a good simple humidistat that can control the fan accurately based on humidity range , but I've yet to read a review of a fan that gives that. Looking at Amazon reviews for these fans are full of phantom triggers on the fans , humidity sensor breaking.

What I thought was a bog standard fan with a good seperately humidistat sensor would be better than a fan with humidistat built in

• Advertisement

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/iphs5-1lw

This is nice simple device which would remove the need for home automation. Independent humidity sensor , unfortunately it's 120V though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

I use a Xiaomi temp and humidity sensor, 2.4ghz 220 switch and a script running on Domoticz to trigger the fan when the humidity rises and cut out again when it drops or 90 mins have elasped. Working well the last 2 years I did swop out the original temp and humidity sensors as they ocassionally gave a bad read triggering the fans. Can't think what they were but I ran them from the GPIO pins of a pi zero but the Xiaomi sensor is far neater and more reliable

tnegun wrote: »
    I use a Xiaomi temp and humidity sensor, 2.4ghz 220 switch and a script running on Domoticz to trigger the fan when the humidity rises and cut out again when it drops or 90 mins have elasped. Working well the last 2 years I did swop out the original temp and humidity sensors as they ocassionally gave a bad read triggering the fans. Can't think what they were but I ran them from the GPIO pins of a pi zero but the Xiaomi sensor is far neater and more reliable

Thanks that sounds perfect. What does the xiaomi sensor look like, is it the one below ?
    Also what type of 220V switch are you using to fire the fan?

I might copy u're set up exactly as it sounds reliable :-)

https://m.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626702.html?vip=14816870&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6MHdBRCtARIsAEigMxHhn5caLouvD7zI1QRoflxdAfcyjtK74Nskwlhy7zICu94VlD9OjfEaAsrGEALw_wcB

It's the round version of the Xiaomi sensor that im using you'll need the Xiaomi Gateway too but it's great value and you can add loads of sensors, I've a couple of PIRs and door contacts triggering different automations. Its a Sonoff inline switch with a different firmware flashed on it to make it a bit more reliable and I'm using mqtt to control the switch. Am travelling now so can't check exactly what I've got but if you've any questions I'll try answer them!

It's the round version of the Xiaomi sensor that im using you'll need the Xiaomi Gateway too but it's great value and you can add loads of sensors, I've a couple of PIRs and door contacts triggering different automations. Its a Sonoff inline switch with a different firmware flashed on it to make it a bit more reliable and I'm using mqtt to control the switch. Am travelling now so can't check exactly what I've got but if you've any questions I'll try answer them!

Thanks , I actually have a number of xiaomi motion might lights and the xiaomi yeelight.

The other thing I was thinking of was maybe the sonoff on its own could do the job
    They have the TH16 which does humidity monitoring

http://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-th

• Advertisement

What put me off the Sonoff oone was the humidity sensor was pretty much the same as the ones I had running from the Pi but it would be a nice solution if they're dependable

What put me off the Sonoff oone was the humidity sensor was pretty much the same as the ones I had running from the Pi but it would be a nice solution if they're dependable

Thanks makes sense. The fans with integrated humidistat also have terrible reviews for the accuracy of the sensors.

Was wondering would the attached work?
    Is mosquito or some form of broker needed to communicate with the switch/relay?

Also how often does it poll the sensor and check on the humidity range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Finger print sensor with different profiles for the longest users...

beauf wrote: »
    Finger print sensor with different profiles for the longest users...

Haha fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The other application I have sometimes thought about for this is to air the house when there is nobody in and the temperature is not too cold outside.

Advertisement