Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent fouls smell - told it's grease in sewer

Options
  • 29-09-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

For two years now my mother's house has been hit by a revolting smell which emerges every couple of days, lasts about an hour and then disappears. She got dynorod out but after 300 euros worth of searching they found no crack or leaks.

The dyno guy told us it was grease build-up in sewer (apparently from soaps as much as from greasy dishes and pans). He broke up the grease but said it would come back. Sure enough it did and is as foul as ever.

Thirty one years in her house and never were there problems. While greasy dishes and pans were washed no grease or oil was poured down drain.

She called a guy from council around and he just poured disinfectant down it but said it would be back.

The smell is so potent as to appear dangerous. Any ideas? Is it grease? If so why now after all these years? Can she get rid of it? Any info greatly appreciated as she's very worried about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ironcage wrote:
    For two years now my mother's house has been hit by a revolting smell which emerges every couple of days, lasts about an hour and then disappears. She got dynorod out but after 300 euros worth of searching they found no crack or leaks.

Nothing against Dynorod, they do a fine job but others are far cheaper. The Drain Doctor can be half the price of Dynorod. Just in case your mum needs them again

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

Sewer pipes smell bad no matter what's in them. Every drain has trap filled with water to prevent the smell being pushed back to the rooms. Perhaps one of them is the problem.

Also the smell could be from drain pipe vent stack that usually ends just above the roof line. It could be blown in from the vent inside the house via open window or nearby room air vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

Latro wrote: »
    Sewer pipes smell bad no matter what's in them. Every drain has trap filled with water to prevent the smell being pushed back to the rooms. Perhaps one of them is the problem.

Also the smell could be from drain pipe vent stack that usually ends just above the roof line. It could be blown in from the vent inside the house via open window or nearby room air vent.

Would Dynorod not have found the trap problem? It's a real old sewer with concrete slabs and a large enough sewer pit to drop down into. One of the slabs does have a large enough hole in it. We keep it covered though.

If drain pipe vent stack what should we do? If trap any suggestions on what to do? Dyno and fellah from Irish Water never said anything about these or offered any solutions on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ironcage

Smell takes over entire house and is extremely potent. Had blocked sewer problems in the past but any smell that came out from those problems was nothing like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

I have the same issue. Did you ever get a solution? Who should I call to fix? Ant recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Had a company called Green Day who did an inspection for me. Found an old sewer pipe that wasn't blocked off, must have had something blocking the smell for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Check the sink traps and shower tray etc.... We get it in our ensuite at times and it's coming back up through the shower drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Also consider replacing any flexable pan connections. I have found that the rubber gaskets shrink with time (>5yrs) and allow gasses to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

ironcage wrote: »

The dyno guy told us it was grease build-up in sewer (apparently from soaps as much as from greasy dishes and pans). He broke up the grease but said it would come back. Sure enough it did and is as foul as ever.

Thirty one years in her house and never were there problems. While greasy dishes and pans were washed no grease or oil was poured down drain.

She called a guy from council around and he just poured disinfectant down it but said it would be back.

The smell is so potent as to appear dangerous. Any ideas? Is it grease? If so why now after all these years? Can she get rid of it? Any info greatly appreciated as she's very worried about it.

Is it from the sink or every plug hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ironcage wrote: »

We have very occasional issues and the council just call in a truck which sucks it all out. Representations to local councillors, TDs can work as it annoys the hell out of councils to get letters from them. There's always "Talk to Joe"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Have also heard of cisterns getting infected, whack a load of bleach in overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

EoC wrote: »
    I have the same issue. Did you ever get a solution? Who should I call to fix? Ant recommendations.

If the stacks are internal within the property, check the flexible vent pipes in the attic at the top of the stack. I had a foul smell that would periodically enter a property, found that the flexi pipe was not connected to the top of the stack in the attic. Depending on temperature / air movement it would push the smell from the attic back down around the stack into various rooms. Took 2 mins to fix.

Advertisement