Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Irish car in Spain, or buy Spanish car for year abroad?

Options
  • 29-09-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a car in Ireland and want to bring it to Spain to study for a full year. However my insurance company is saying the car can only be abroad for up to 180 days. Is there any way around this?
    The other option is to buy a car in Spain for the year. That way the wheel is on the right side etc. Is this very expensive? Hard to do as an Irish person? Hard to insure?
    I am 23, so renting seems too expensive for the year.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is your car worth much? Do you have comprehensive cover.

Your insurer can limit your cover abroad after certain time, but they have to provide you with obligatory third party cover without any time limitations.
    So your third party cover is going to be valid anyway, no matter how long your car will stay there.

Your insurer could cancel your policy if they deem you non-resident in Ireland, but as you're going as a student, that's also not going to be the case, as students who study abroad are treated as resident at home (in Ireland in your case).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, take a look at this recent thread on the same topic....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057913452

Advertisement