Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90SI literally ground to a halt

Options
  • 28-09-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

The unit is at least 10 years old, maybe more. It came with the house when we moved in, in 2008. We live in a hard water area but every drop of water into the house comes through a softener, always has.

I replaced a valve on the shower last year due to a constant dribble when off. This morning while working away normally with no unusual noises or forewarning, it made an awful grinding noise for about 1-2 seconds and just shut off. Dead. No drips, no flow, no noise, no smells, nothing. No signs of life since. Pressing the on/off button gets no response at all. The pull-cord switch is still showing the little light and the circuit breaker hasn't tripped.

Inside the case is all black dust, so I'm thinking brushes have worn out or the motor has burned out?

what's the advice? look for new brushes? new motor? Cut my losses and get a whole new machine? Will a new machine fit the exact footprint of the old one? I'll tackle the repairs or installation of a new one but I have no desire to go re-tiling the shower due to a different shaped machine.

any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

my advice......replace the brushes, if that dosnt solve the issue id be leaning towards a new sr unit. these units start to give problems around the 10 year mark. obviously owes you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I replaced a valve on the shower last year due to a constant dribble when off. This morning while working away normally with no unusual noises or forewarning, it made an awful grinding noise for about 1-2 seconds and just shut off. Dead. No drips, no flow, no noise, no smells, nothing. No signs of life since. Pressing the on/off button gets no response at all. The pull-cord switch is still showing the little light and the circuit breaker hasn't tripped.

Grinding noise suggests the bearings in the motor. They no longer make parts for the triton t90si but if you google triton t90si reconditioned motor you will pick one up for 40 euro or so
    Inside the case is all black dust, so I'm thinking brushes have worn out or the motor has burned out?

Rule of thumb is louder motor =bearings and quieter motor =brushes

Try giving the shower a thump. If it's the brushes this usually shifts the brushes enough to work again for one or two more showers

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

Thanks guys.

After a bit of thought I decided that yeah, it owes me nothing and bought a new T90SR.

Fitted it this afternoon. No dramas except for drilling a few new holes in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭snowcat

Quiet shower. put one in lately. Paid 230 in woodies

Advertisement