Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the bfi imax

Options
  • 28-09-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading to London with the family to bring one of the lads to the nfl in Wembley on 28th Oct. We're there for 4 days so I want to head to see something in the bfi imax. It'll be the 4 of us going. 2 adults and 14 and 7 year old boys. Was hoping there'd be something good on at that time to go and see.

Any recommendations? Do they do specific imax stuff still outside of actual films, if there's nothing appropriate oit at the time. During the day I assume?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The full listings for 28th October will due out soon enough. Looks like they are starting to show Bohemian Rhapsody that week.

I love the BFI IMAX but it would be a costly day out. e80 for the tickets alone to watch a feature length movie. If you are looking for a simple family IMAX 3D experience as opposed to a feature length movie you also have the option of the Science Museum. They do family tickets there which would half the price. The BFI will probably show an early morning 40 minute length presentation but I've no idea what these are actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't know that cinema but I googled it! I'm guessing this is it:
    https://www.odeon.co.uk/cinemas/bfi_imax/211/

Clicking on Advance Dates shows only one film on 28 Oct: Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man is on the previous weekend. A space film would probably be cooler on the big screen.

I guess that's that then. Although, it's hard to imagine only one film being shown in a day. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I love the BFI IMAX. A very special place for me. If its a particularly quiet period for film releases they tend to show good IMAX films. For example, I saw Dunkirk there last November - easily the greatest IMAX experience I have had to date.

I see First Man is released not long before you arrive in London, that could be great on an IMAX screen. That would be my pick. Either way, try and see a proper IMAX film, even if you have seen it before!

Enjoy! Its a great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Slydice wrote: »

I guess that's that then. Although, it's hard to imagine only one film being shown in a day. Anyone know?

They usually show a random film in the mornings (11am, iirc), particularly on weekends. This could be a 'classic' or an IMAX shot film like 'Dark Knight Rises'/'Interstellar', etc. However, big releases (Marvel, for example) tend to dominate the showings for the day - there is only one screen after all.

As Bohemian won't really be a 'big screen' affair, there is a good chance 'First Man' might have the odd showing during the day as it would look better on the screen and draw in those willing to spend extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

On looking I see they decided to show Mission Impossible:Fallout in 2D in the past few weeks. Ragin'. I avoided going to see it in the cinema for weeks because they originally only showed it in 3D at the BFI. As soon as I got see it they decide to put it on. Maybe in a few years they'll do a Rogue Nation/Fallout double bill that I'll go see.

I regret not seeing Dunkirk there and have yet to see it thinking I'll go watch it there some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, I'd love a proper imax feature to be on.

I'll be looking to go see bohemian rhapsody at some point but not sure it'll be the experience I'm after for the bfi.

I saw the dark Knight rises in the TV museum in Bradford when it was out and it was quality. Saw Pacific rim in Manchester but that was noticeably smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

The BFI is well worth a trip alright, I finally got there last year but I’ve yet to see a 2D 70mm movie there; both times I’ve been was for 3D 35mm movies...but it was still impressive nonetheless and makes a mockery of the Liemaxs here. They had a run of The Dark Knight for its 10th anniversary last month but I was away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I saw Dunkirk in it last year. It was a great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just looking at the site. Bohemian Rhapsody is on all day for the 4 days we're in London. Disappointing. Can't see it being a runner with a 7 year old. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Shred wrote: »
    The BFI is well worth a trip alright, I finally got there last year but I’ve yet to see a 2D 70mm movie there; both times I’ve been was for 3D 35mm movies...but it was still impressive nonetheless and makes a mockery of the Liemaxs here. They had a run of The Dark Knight for its 10th anniversary last month but I was away :(

Liemax that's hilarious. The IMAX here now is definitely smaller than IMAX was in say the early 90s internationally or the original IMAXes in Dublin and Belfast.

I've been in the BFI IMAX and AFAIR it's not as large as the original prototype IMAXes either.

Nice venue though as it's more of an arty film hub and on the South Bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement