Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't get car insurance because someone crashed into my car

Options
  • 28-09-2018 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

A few months ago I was hit by a driver who exited a car park at high speed. My car was written off and I'm now in the process of a personal injury claim against her insurance (who paid me for the written off car, provided me with a courtesy car, etc.)

My car insurance was due for renewal shortly after the crash but I had no car so it lapsed. I was very anxious about driving after the accident so I avoided driving and didn't buy a replacement car until this week. Now I'm trying to insure my new car but insurance companies tell me that I can't get insurance because (a) I've been involved in a crash in the past three years, or (b) I'm involved in an ongoing claim (even though it's not through MY insurance).

Trying to insure my new car has sent my anxiety back through the roof again. I have a car but can't insure it, so can't use it.
    Can anyone help or advise me on this ridiculous situation? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I think a broker would be your best bet and will certainly get you some kind of quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Why can you not just renew with your existing insurer?
    Insurance with an open claim is a bit trickier, but surely your existing insurer offered a renewal quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FebruaryStars

domrush wrote: »
    I think a broker would be your best bet and will certainly get you some kind of quote.

Thanks, I tried two well known brokers but they said they can't offer insurance while a claim is ongoing.

banie01 wrote: »
    Why can you not just renew with your existing insurer?
    Insurance with an open claim is a bit trickier, but surely your existing insurer offered a renewal quote?

I think the issue is that I had no insurance between June and September, as I hadn't replaced the written off car. So they're treating me as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

A few months ago I was hit by a driver who exited a car park at high speed. My car was written off and I'm now in the process of a personal injury claim against her insurance (who paid me for the written off car, provided me with a courtesy car, etc.)

My car insurance was due for renewal shortly after the crash but I had no car so it lapsed. I was very anxious about driving after the accident so I avoided driving and didn't buy a replacement car until this week. Now I'm trying to insure my new car but insurance companies tell me that I can't get insurance because (a) I've been involved in a crash in the past three years, or (b) I'm involved in an ongoing claim (even though it's not through MY insurance).

Trying to insure my new car has sent my anxiety back through the roof again. I have a car but can't insure it, so can't use it.
    Can anyone help or advise me on this ridiculous situation? Thanks!

We had a similar problem 2 years ago. Someone drove into o/h car at 100k, other party admitted liability. Car was in my name so cheque was made out to me for value of car.
    Insurance company refused us cover. Rang the ombudsman where a member of staff told us what to do. We were using a broker.
    1. Ring the insurance company back and tell them you were on to the Ombudsman' office.
    2. Tell them other party admitted liability. Offer to:
    3. Fax / email the counterpart of the cheque you received from the other parties insurance company.

If they still refuse to insure you refer your query to the Ombudsman.

• Advertisement

aluminium wrote: »
    We had a similar problem 2 years ago. Someone drove into o/h car at 100k, other party admitted liability. Car was in my name so cheque was made out to me for value of car.
    Insurance company refused us cover. Rang the ombudsman where a member of staff told us what to do. We were using a broker.
    1. Ring the insurance company back and tell them you were on to the Ombudsman' office.
    2. Tell them other party admitted liability. Offer to:
    3. Fax / email the counterpart of the cheque you received from the other parties insurance company.

If they still refuse to insure you refer your query to the Ombudsman.

Thanks. I have a letter from her insurance company that states how much they were transferring into my bank account for the cost of my car. Hopefully that will suffice. The broker is now closed but I'll give it a go on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Good advice above, you'll be fine. No need to panic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If the 3rd party insurers have accepted liability, you do not have an "open claim", even if the injury side of things has yet to be resolved. Open claims refer to a situation where you are either liable in full or part for the accident, or where liability has yet to be established and a file on YOUR policy remains active

Your policy should be noted as "closed, nil payment". You do have to declare the accident, but you should not be penalised.

Have you made your own insurer aware that you have been successful against the 3rd party?

If the 3rd party insurers have accepted liability, you do not have an "open claim", even if the injury side of things has yet to be resolved. Open claims refer to a situation where you are either liable in full or part for the accident, or where liability has yet to be established and a file on YOUR policy remains active

Your policy should be noted as "closed, nil payment". You do have to declare the accident, but you should not be penalised.

Have you made your own insurer aware that you have been successful against the 3rd party?

Thanks for that information. I've told my last insurer and the brokers that the 3rd party's insurer paid for my written off car and provided a courtesy car, thereby showing that their client was liable, but they still would not offer me insurance. Maybe I could get something in writing from her insurer to say that I'm not liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Trying to insure my new car has sent my anxiety back through the roof again. I have a car but can't insure it, so can't use it. Can anyone help or advise me on this ridiculous situation? Thanks!

You have an open claim. No insurance company will quote you with an open claim. Your existing company or last company will quote you. If they don't then the regulator will make them quote you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You have an open claim. No insurance company will quote you with an open claim. Your existing company or last company will quote you. If they don't then the regulator will make them quote you

He doesn't have an open claim if the 3rd party and their insurers have accepted liability. His own insurers should close their file, nothing to do with them from here in

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Get 3 three letters declining you and then go to Insurance Ireland and the Declined Cases Committee. They will force your previous insurance company to quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sleeper12 wrote: »

It's only open claims against you though that they should be worrying about no?

Regardless of what happens with the claim as it is it's not going to cost the OP or OP's (new) insurance company a penny?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Februarystars,
    Your anxiety is jumping off the screen.
    In my opinion your only going to wind yourself up more by looking at the posts here.

You can do nothing until Monday.
    First thing Monday do what I suggested. If it does not work, then you get three letters from three insurance companies refusing you. Either way you will get your insurance.

Advertisement