Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD Trips when I Connect Socket, any ideas?

Options
  • 27-09-2018 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hoping somebody can help with any tips on troubleshooting this issue.
    When we moved into our current house, 10 years ago, the garage was already converted.
    There are 3 double sockets in the room.
    As we used it as a kids play room, we didn’t use all the sockets and never used 1 at all.

Now, I discovered that 1 socket doesn’t work.
    On opening the socket, it is wired but no power present.
    Opening the nearest socket, which has power, I found the other end of the cable supplying the problem socket.
    The cable wasn’t connected. Bingo, I thought.

Connected up the supply to the problem socket but on power up the RCD trips.
    I am thinking that the it must be an issue with the cable as if it was a simple problem, the electrician that wired this up would have sorted it, rather than disconnecting it and walking away. I don’t know the history so am only guessing here.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot, or what the most likely causes are?
    If it is the cable behind the wall that is damaged, is it feasible to pull a new cable through? It’s about 4 metres but the sockets are on opposites sides of the room.

Could it be the socket causing the problem? Unlikely, I think, as I would assume the electrician could have installed a new socket handy enough?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Don't open it again and get an electrician. If it's tripping there is a leak somewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely an issue with the cable. Assuming this is the case it would be best to replace the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

2011 wrote: »
    Most likely an issue with the cable. Assuming this is the case it would be best to replace the cable.

Thanks for the reply.
    Tape a new length of cable to the suspect one and pull through from one socket to the other?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

JMR wrote: »
    Tape a new length of cable to the suspect one and pull through from one socket to the other?

Possibly, it depends on the cable run to be honest. Sometimes this is easier than other times. If it doesn't pull through you are no worse off.

Advertisement