Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big increase in car insurance

Options
  • 26-09-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Last years quote was €580, this year it’s €788.
    Broker is AA, insurer is Aviva.
    Driver with 20 years no claims etc.
    Going to shop around.
    Any suggestions?
    Wife said the despite their name itsforwomen insure men.
    I also read that increasing the excess can reduce the premium.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Have you any claims or points

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jos_kel

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Have you any claims or points

No claims. No points. No obvious reason for hike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask the AA to shop around for you.

Ask the AA to shop around for you.

Thanks but wouldn’t they have shopped around before supplying the new premium of €788?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jos_kel wrote: »
    Thanks but wouldn’t they have shopped around before supplying the new premium of €788?

Chances are they'd look for an initial quote from current provider.

Ring up another broker and engage in some price wars.

I'd not be inclined to increase excess.

• Advertisement

Chances are they'd look for an initial quote from current provider.

Ring up another broker and engage in some price wars.

I'd not be inclined to increase excess.

Thanks. Any suggestions on other good brokers to call?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm with aaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Car and age of car? Has it just hit the 10 year mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to shop around.

Try as many as you can take to try.

Nobody is rewarded for being loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

It's For Women have to provide you with a quote due to Equality Laws. Thinking of trying them myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

My quote is the same from Axa, €793. My car is only 4 years old a Volvo v40. Hoping to make a few calls but keep forgetting to do it.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Car and age of car? Has it just hit the 10 year mark?

Ford Focus 1.8 zetec 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get on the internet and hit every insurance website for a quote. Do it while on the sofa watching TV for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Last years quote was €580, this year it’s €788.
    Broker is AA, insurer is Aviva.
    Driver with 20 years no claims etc.
    Going to shop around.
    Any suggestions?
    Wife said the despite their name itsforwomen insure men.
    I also read that increasing the excess can reduce the premium.

TIA

Itsforwomen will quote you, but if you put in a claim they'll saw the bollix off you before payout.

dudara wrote: »
    Get on the internet and hit every insurance website for a quote. Do it while on the sofa watching TV for a few hours.

😂😂😂 on a light note I don’t get the chance to spend hours on the sofa these days.
    Even if I did I would be in total shock
    God be with the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm with aaran.

They've done well for us in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

I have been driving for half that time and pay about 20% less than your quote last year.

You need to shop around. Get your quote online, ring them up and see if there is anything they can do to lower the price (do you really need ALL of the extras that come with the quote).

It's the only way to get a good deal. And you are correct, increasing the excess usually does bring the price down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Almost every day I'm in town I see Africans and Middle Easterners driving around in 01, 02, 03 reg cars.
    They all have L Plates
    I have been told by many insurers that they will not insure a car over ten years old (I know this already) so how is it that these people are getting insured on their cars?
    I would really like an answer to this question, is there a special scheme or dispensation for Migrants or 'Refugees'?
    Maybe their is a reasonable explanation so if there is I'd love to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I have been told by many insurers that they will not insure a car over ten years old (I know this already) so how is it that these people are getting insured on their cars?

Why don't you ask them? You seem to spend of time observing them so maybe talk to them.

There is no special scheme for migrants, but I'm sure you already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Naas Insurance and Finance got me fully comp, windscreen protect, step back, 250 excess, claim last year worth 9k for €750 ... AA were only able to do 1300 and the next best 123 was 980

• Advertisement

My brother is with Its4Women. Last 2 years he's been with them as they've beaten all other quotes.

I'm a Bank of Ireland customer, and I'm with them this year (having moved from FBD last year) as they beat all other prices (and by a good bit, too!).

Almost every day I'm in town I see Africans and Middle Easterners driving around in 01, 02, 03 reg cars.
    They all have L Plates

Just look at their insurance disc?

My brother is with Its4Women. Last 2 years he's been with them as they've beaten all other quotes.

Got a quote of €404 from itsforwomen, that’s a saving of €384.
    Seems too good to be true but benefits are same.

They all have L Plates
    I would really like an answer to this question, is there a special scheme or dispensation for Migrants or 'Refugees'?

I don’t have the stats but Id be very surprised if the majority of people who own 01, 02, 03 Reg cars aren’t Irish.
    Someone must be insuring them. Must have a look at the disc

Advertisement