Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shining Extended cut

Options
  • 26-09-2018 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just noticed there is a Shining extended edition (about 25 min extra).
    I saw the BluRay there for sale - is it worth the watch or is the original TR better ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Hi,
    I saw the BluRay there for sale - is it worth the watch or is the original TR better ?

I saw this cut once years ago, it's worth a watch out of curiosity but I don't think it makes a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's not extended per se. It's the US theatrical cut. It wasn't well received there, and Kubrick edited it again before the European release. I have only seen it once, but I enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I much prefer the longer version, it makes it a much better film for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Hi,

It might be the US version

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The shorter cut was Kubrick's preferred cut. It's better paced and the hotel feels more isolated. He often recut films after seeing them with an audience, destroying the original version in the process. But because The Shining got a wide release in the US it was already in distribution by the time he recut it, so he made do with international viewers getting his final cut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement