Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance

Options
  • 26-09-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Bit of a delema, I will be off the Rd next week for 1 yr stop for drink driving. My insurance is out end of this month can I insure it now and put my 20 yr old son on it as a name driver he just got his first provisional licence last week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You really need to talk to your insurer, You may not be eligible for your current insurance as you dont hold a valid driving licence due to the ban?
    And your son wont be able to drive you as he needs to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver. Can you transfer the insurance to a spouse or?

You really need to ring your insurance and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

But I can insure it up till sat , I'm just wondering if I do can I transfer the insurance over to my son once I'm off the Rd next week. Or even insure it for open driving because my sons insurance is 4.500 first insurance 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

burberry wrote: »
    But I can insure it up till sat , I'm just wondering if I do can I transfer the insurance over to my son once I'm off the Rd next week. Or even insure it for open driving because my sons insurance is 4.500 first insurance ��

No you can't transfer the insurance to your son as he does not own the car. Once you tell the insurance company you are banned from driving they will cancel the policy.

But he will own the car as I am changing into his name

But he will own the car as I am changing into his name

Not sure why you are asking can he get insured on it so. Of course he can if the car will be in his name, but you won't be able to go on the policy.

• Advertisement

What I'm asking is if I insure the car now in my name can I transfer the insurance at a later date to my son who will be the register owner

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

What I'm asking is if I insure the car now in my name can I transfer the insurance at a later date to my son who will be the register owner

no

You can never transfer insurance. If it switches from you to your son it will be a brand new policy in your sons name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You would have been obliged to tell your insurer when your conviction was confirmed. What did they say to you about your current cover?

Advertisement