Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failure to produce certificate of insurance

Options
  • 26-09-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was stopped by a Garda and asked to produce cert of insurance and license, had neither on me. Went home and couldn't find my cert. so I requested a new one and went to the Garda station with my license and proof I'd applied for a new cert, Garda at the station just to call in with the cert when I get it. when the cert arrived I produced at the station (not within the 10 days however). 6 months later I receive a summons for failure to produce certificate of insurance within 10 day. Should I be worried about this? What is the punishment I would receive as I already have 7 points and can't afford any more. I went to the Garda station I produced the cert and got the receipt of production of the cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Did you get the name of garda who stopped you as he would need to be on court aswell but he can get it stopped if you can call in and chat with him. As judge will not be happy with him bot cancelling it beforehand. You should have no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bam_Dan

jhud wrote: »
    Did you get the name of garda who stopped you as he would need to be on court aswell but he can get it stopped if you can call in and chat with him. As judge will not be happy with him bot cancelling it beforehand. You should have no problems

Yes, I have his name on the summons. I've not been able to get a hold of him yet every time I've rang him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Bam_Dan wrote: »
    I was stopped by a Garda and asked to produce cert of insurance and license, had neither on me. Went home and couldn't find my cert. so I requested a new one and went to the Garda station with my license and proof I'd applied for a new cert, Garda at the station just to call in with the cert when I get it. when the cert arrived I produced at the station (not within the 10 days however). 6 months later I receive a summons for failure to produce certificate of insurance within 10 day. Should I be worried about this? What is the punishment I would receive as I already have 7 points and can't afford any more. I went to the Garda station I produced the cert and got the receipt of production of the cert.

Shouldn't be a big deal, just try and contact the Garda before hand, worst case scenario you have to turn up in court and explain to the Garda, he'll have a word with the DPP and DPP will ask for it to be struck out.

Worst Worst case scenario you'll have to explain it to the judge and the judge will ask the DPP if they are happy with your explanation, should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

redcup342 wrote: »
    Worst Worst case scenario you'll have to explain it to the judge and the judge will ask the DPP if they are happy with your explanation, should be fine.

The DPP??? Are you having a laugh?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bam_Dan wrote: »
    6 months later I receive a summons for failure to produce certificate of insurance within 10 day.

Is that the only summons you received - failing to produce? That summons almost always comes as part of a pair along with driving with no insurance. Which is the much more serious offence.

Failing to produce by itself is a very minor offence (on the scale of RTA offences) and it's very unusual to be prosecuted as a standalone offence. But according to what you have told us, you're guilty on that one as you did not produce within 10 days.

Advertisement