Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those of you who are married, how happy are you?

Options
  • 26-09-2018 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Anonymous poll above.

I'm not married so can't give an opinion, it's just something I regularly wonder about.

Married person, how happy are you in life? (related or unrelated to marriage) 48 votes

1 - NOT HAPPY
    0% 0 votes
    16% 8 votes
    0% 0 votes
    6% 3 votes
    0% 0 votes
    12% 6 votes
    4% 2 votes
    18% 9 votes
    16% 8 votes
    10 - EXTREMELY HAPPY
    25% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Maybe mind you own business might be appropriate in this instance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

DareGod wrote: »
    Anonymous poll above.

I'm not married so can't give an opinion, it's just something I regularly wonder about.

This doesn't give you any sort of an insight as you have asked that people respond in terms of happiness irrespective of whether that happiness is related or not to their marriage.

You'd have marginally more success with 2 polls, one for married, one for unmarried.

Finally, and obviously, there's nothing to stop single people skewing the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If it's related or unrelated to marriage why only ask married people.
    I'm confused:confused:

I'm also not married and happy as a pig in shíte if that's any use to you?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm No. 10 when Cake is involved

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

uch wrote: »
    I'm No. 10 when Cake is involved

Gonna marry a guy who makes mad cakes. Looking forward to the next decades of bomb home bakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

10/10 would marry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It must be **** being trapped in a marriage with someone you don't get along with or even hate.

For me, my wife is my confidant, my best friend, the person whose advice I most value.

We're a team and if she was missing from my life, I know I wouldn't be half as happy or content as I am. She is the best thing that happened to me and occasionally, when slightly drunk or stoned, I'll think about all the little things that might have happened that would have resulted in us never meeting - to me that would be a scary thought.

We're married 15 years at his stage with a couple of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

DareGod wrote: »
    Anonymous poll above.

Haven't visited the RI forum lately I take it? I honestly don't know why people bother . From my married friends it's 2% positives in return for giving up 98% of freedom.

I don't know any married couple in my group that I don't believe would have a happier and more fulfilling life single.

It's like acceptance sets in quickly and the returns policy gets too expensive so they just settle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I voted 8 - I've been married near enough 10 years, so the delirious happiness of the honeymoon period is over, but it was replaced with a feeling of being very content and comfortable in each other's presence.

It's funny in a way - I had never planned on marrying, I was always a bit of a loner. But having met my now husband, I would not ever want to miss him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Shenshen wrote: »
    I voted 8 - I've been married near enough 10 years, so the delirious happiness of the honeymoon period is over, but it was replaced with a feeling of being very content and comfortable in each other's presence.

It's funny in a way - I had never planned on marrying, I was always a bit of a loner. But having met my now husband, I would not ever want to miss him again.

Awwww. We need some new emojis.

1 year married here. My wife and have been in the comfortable stage for the better part of 6 years now.
    Nothing feels different really. We did it mainly for tax, contingency planning than anything else.

• Advertisement

Haven't visited the RI forum lately I take it? I honestly don't know why people bother . From my married friends it's 2% positives in return for giving up 98% of freedom.

I don't know any married couple in my group that I don't believe would have a happier and more fulfilling life single.

It's like acceptance sets in quickly and the returns policy gets too expensive so they just settle.

you

you cant think of any status between single and married?

hm

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Awwww. We need some new emojis.

1 year married here. My wife and have been in the comfortable stage for the better part of 6 years now.
    Nothing feels different really. We did it mainly for tax, contingency planning than anything else.

I know what you mean, we were together quite a while before marrying, too. And I didn't think it would change much, either, aside from the practical things in life like tax, getting a mortgage etc., but somehow, over the years, it did. It's very subtle, though, and I'm not sure I can put it into words. But it feels like, despite not having children, we're still family. Only we're family we actually chose, rather than the families we got born into without having much of a say.

Plus, when my husband had serious health issues a few years ago, the fact that I was his wife and therefore his next of kin did help massively with dealing with the hospital, doctors, etc. I suspect if we hadn't been married, I might have been facing an awful lot more bureaucracy.

People who post in places like RI are a self selecting sample, hardly representative of all the swathes of people who don't post in RI.

That's why this thread is all but meaningless, people who are happily married aren't likely to bother posting in a thread that obviously supposes most aren't happy, but those who are unhappy will seize the chance to vent.

I'm not married btw. Yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Most people have to settle, the reality is most people are not high value partners so take what they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

This doesn't give you any sort of an insight as you have asked that people respond in terms of happiness irrespective of whether that happiness is related or not to their marriage.

You'd have marginally more success with 2 polls, one for married, one for unmarried.

Finally, and obviously, there's nothing to stop single people skewing the poll.

Standard "think up something to say to go against the OP's post as soon as possible and pray for lots of Likes" post. Is it really so necessary for every thread to have one?

I really don't care enough about the responses to the poll to make so many options. But please feel free to continue your overthinking.

Most people have to settle, the reality is most people are not high value partners so take what they can get.

I'll take the bait - what constitutes a "high value partner"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'll take the bait - what constitutes a "high value partner"?

Rich old and knocking on deaths door?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Multiple decades. Close friends: trusted and trustworthy. Affectionate and intimate. We smile to hear each other's voices.
    This doesn't happen all at once but - like everything worthwhile - takes persistence and loyalty. Through thick and thin, love grows stronger.
    I only voted "8" because nothing in this world can be perfect, and I sometines amuse myself grimly by imagining ways in which my OH could be improved.
    (And vice-versa applies too, probably lol)
    But all in all, happier than ... than many, than very many.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Almost 25 years married, can’t imagine being any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Where do you rank yourself in the value stakes? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

7/10

I'm sick with a cold.
    He's also sick with the cold.
    Baby is also sick with the cold.

Our house is a fairly miserable place right now with no sympathy for each other (well maybe a bit for the baby) but when we're not sick, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

mojesius wrote: »
    7/10

I'm sick with a cold.
    He's also sick with the cold.
    Baby is also sick with the cold.

Our house is a fairly miserable place right now with no sympathy for each other (well maybe a bit for the baby) but when we're not sick, it's great.

Ha ! Same here, 7/10 today at this moment in time.
    Because life is not a long quiet river.

I wonder how any happiness poll at all can ever be rated close to "accurate". Averages and relatives I suppose.

Advertisement