Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you noticed less door to door sales people?

Options
  • 25-09-2018 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

One thing I noticed this year, none at all.
    This Time last year I think one or two a month at least.

Have they banned it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They all died in the snowstorm.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I'll reply in a minute doorbell just rang.

Thanks.

The economy is improving and people aren't quite as desperate for work thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Amazon made them redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The economy is improving and people aren't quite as desperate for work thankfully.

I really hope that is the reason!

Haven't had any "cold callers" here for a long time, my parents are being visited frequently by members of an ethnic minority selling random items though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Got a camera. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’ve noticed fewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Had none for ages and 2 tonight!

Jinx!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it’s more that the internet has replaced field sales in a lot of cases, also a lot of broadband/landline companies for example aren’t around anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

13a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live out the country and we only ever got a service provider calling once.
    However we used get men selling tools, socks, sets of knives, gates and offering to paint roofs. However people are a lot less likely to buy now due to all the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Had none for ages and 2 tonight!

Jinx!!!

Same here. Prepay Power knocked earlier. Sorta felt sorry for them as it was lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

If door to door salesmen have disappeared they've been replaced by charity lads looking for monthly donations. Everytime I work from home I get a knock on the door. They must call nearly every day.

Also never get any gypsies calling at the door. When I was a kid they used to be always calling looking for clothes or food or whatever.

They were ten a penny when the crash occurred, less of a blight nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Nope. The amount of MLMs popping up on FB all the time shows people are really desperate and very gullible from what I can see. It probably means it's moved more online than being door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Haven't seen many of them since I adopted a policy of opening the door nude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

People from Electric Ireland were going door to door here yesterday and the PrePay Electricity were doing their rounds here today.

We're still not rid of them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Haven't checked my trapping pit for a while to be honest.
    Might have a look in there tomorrow if I caught anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

wexie wrote: »
    Haven't checked my trapping pit for a while to be honest.
    Might have a look in there tomorrow if I caught anything.

Surprisingly large number of serial killers turned out to be door to door salesmen.
    I was wondering when someone would take the lazy home delivery option.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Surprisingly large number of serial killers turned out to be door to door salesmen.
    I was wondering when someone would take the lazy home delivery option.

Hey man, I'm not a psycho or anything, I put no trespassing signs up and everything

:pac:

• Advertisement

I never answer the door as I'd only be wasting their time and I am absolutely exhausted by evening time. And home is my sanctuary from the turmoil of daily life. My space. Peace.

However, one night last week a woman kept ringing so I answered it and it was a total stranger who came across my elderly neighbour, who has dementia, in a neighbouring estate and mine was the only house she could describe.

This is the third time in the past c. 5 weeks that the poor lady has been brought back to safety by the kindness of strangers so I might have to reconsider my blanket ban on answering the door. It's an awful, awful affliction of a disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Motivator

We used to get lots of calls down in our area of Cork, we’re just outside the city next to a number of big estates and I’d say they used to chance us as a last resort if they hadn’t hit their quote for the day/week/month.

One poor guy in particular used to call to the door. One month he was selling broadband, then he was selling Sky TV, the next month he was selling fire extinguishers. The poor young fella was embarrassed to knock on the door by the end of his time with the company. The last night he came he asked us not to slam the door in his face so the wife brought him in for a cup of tea. Jesus the poor fella was wicked upset, had a girlfriend that gave him an awful time because he wasn’t bringing in enough money. In fairness, what they gave him to sell was utter garbage and after 2 hours in our kitchen he swore he was going to quit the job. I’ve seen the van circling the estate opposite us but haven’t seen him since and probably 6 months have passed so I’m hoping for his sake he quit. Door to door sales is a degrading job and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. You can take pride in 99.9% of jobs not matter how crap they are but how can you take pride in a job where nearly everyone you speak to slams a door in your face or worse, tells you to fûck off and then slams a door in your face?

Advertisement